Talk

Advanced search

continuing weaning after tummy bug

(3 Posts)
MrsN86 Fri 31-Oct-14 06:06:22

My beautiful little boy is 8 mths old. Weaning has been going really well and was up to 3 meals a day. Porridge and fruit for breakfast, small sandwiches at lunch and a warm homecooked meal for tea (meat/fish with veg/tomato pasta etc) which he was eating lumpy after moving on from fully pureed. He also has some milk inbetween and at bedtime.

On Sunday, he came down with his first tummy bug with projectile vomiting (sorry tmi!). We took him to the out of hours clinic who confirmed it was a virus and not to worry too much as he was still very lively and taking milk.

Now he is eating again but the only savoury thing he'll eat is chicken and veg puree which he'll eat at lunch and will not eat tea. Anything else/lumpier makes him retch until he's sick.

I am continuing to give him his normal amount of milk as I'm worried he'll get dehydrated otherwise. Could it be he's still getting his appetite back? Could this be why he struggles with textures?

Please tell me that this is normal and that he'll get over it soon? I'm really worried about him and just trying to let him lead me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer

cathpip Fri 31-Oct-14 06:12:48

When I have had a nasty tummy bug it takes me a few days to get my old eating habits back, as it probably will your ds. He will eat what he needs for a few days, don't rush him back into all his food, his stomach is still settling down. I hope he is feeling better soon. (Also don't worry about his weight and lack of gain, as long as he is dehydrated and eating something)

MrsN86 Fri 31-Oct-14 22:09:13

Thanks cathpip. You're right about it taking a bit of time to get back to normal, even as an adult. What is it with being a parent and not being able to think logically?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now