Talk

Advanced search

BLW advice please - fussy baby? Already?

(8 Posts)
Highlove Thu 30-Oct-14 19:28:52

My 7.5mo BLW'er is getting on ok-ish with weaning - some days better than others, tons goes on the floor but can demolish a bit of fruit pretty impressively. But I've been surprised how fussy she seems to be. I thought at this age they were supposed to be open to most stuff. Mine seems to reject an awful lot. In fact, despite me offering her an enormous range of stuff, other than fruit which she loves there's only a handful of things that she really goes for - cheese, yoghurt, avocado and cucumber. I've tried loads of different veggies including all the ones they're 'supposed' to like - sweet potato, all kinds of squash, carrot, broccoli, sweet peppers, mushrooms, baby corn, asparagus, you name it. She will take a little nibble and then chuck it on the floor. (And the chucking is deliberate!) And that's pretty much how she approaches most things - a little taste and then discards to the floor in favour of the few things she likes.

Is it normal at this point to be what seems to me so fussy? How do I handle it? I've been offering stuff she likes alongside new or previously rejected stuff - is that the right approach? To be honest if I don't do that she often just won't bother. And I know she doesn't really need to actually eat but I think it's good that she keeps practicing chewing and swallowing. Is that right? Any tips or just general reassurance that in three years I won't have the child that only eats cheese and onion crisps?!

EmbarrassedPossessed Thu 30-Oct-14 19:46:51

It sounds like you're still giving her individual fruits/veg/etc rather than meals?

I think the only approach is to plan balanced meals and offer them to her and let her eat as much or as little as she wants. Don't resort to always offering things you know she'll eat - it can take many many offerings of a new flavour before they will give it a go.

Highlove Thu 30-Oct-14 20:36:49

Oh no - I've offered meals, too. The veg was just an example and is offered as part of a meal with e.g. cheese, chicken, houmous, whatever so she's got protein, veg and carb on offer. She's also had more 'complex' flavours - stews, curries, etc. She went for that stuff at first but now doesn't want any help with feeding but seems to get very frustrated with things she can't shovel in. But pancakes, porridge fingers, etc, all rejected. Hmmm.

Laquila Thu 30-Oct-14 20:44:26

I honestly think it's totally normal, but can understand your frustration and anxiety. I think the only thing you can really do is to be patient and stick with it. At that age my boy was sceptical of most thong other than strawberries, and did a LOT of chucking on the floor. Certainly I don't think what he's doing now will necessarily have much bearing on how heel be eating in a few months or years - they change their preferences and attitudes so frequently that I really don't think you need to worry.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about giving individual stuff rather than actual meals - I wouldn't have thought that would make much difference. I'd suggest trying to vary the things he does like - for example, if he loves bananas, have you tried banana muffins? If he loves courgette, maybe make them into fritters or similar? When I look at the range of foods my boy likes now,or doesn't near much relation to what he preferred when he was that age, but in reality he was actually eating so little then anyway.

Good luck and keep the faith!

EmbarrassedPossessed Thu 30-Oct-14 21:11:49

Teething can sometimes make them a little reluctant, maybe that could be a factor.

Really there's not much that can be done other than to keep offering a wide range of suitable meals and let her take what she wants. It can be dispiriting at times when they reject a lot of what you offer but it is all part of the learning process.

GrouchyKiwi Thu 30-Oct-14 21:15:30

Sometimes it takes a few tastes before a baby will decide they like something so keep giving small portions of things and repeat them.

Highlove Thu 30-Oct-14 21:37:17

Ok well I guess I just keep plugging away and hope she starts developing a taste for a wider variety of food. She has got a couple of new teeth recently although this has been going on for a few weeks. But yes it is dispiriting. And I'm going to get fat on all the delicious leftovers!

specialmagiclady Fri 31-Oct-14 08:47:51

Absolutely and remain calm and don't stress about what he eats or doesn't eat. Accept (nay embrace!) waste on your child's plate. If you practice not reducing variety at this stage, when he gets to 4/5/7/9 whenever and decides he doesn't want anything other than fish fingers, you will be in a really good place to smile and say "never mind! Maybe tomorrow..." And serve up tripe - or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now