Talk

Advanced search

Weaning mess!!!?

(15 Posts)
Flingmoo Thu 30-Oct-14 14:52:56

Any ideas how to deal with the sheer amount of mess DS makes while being spoonfed? Just started weaning last week. I thought traditional weaning was meant to be the clean option compared to BlW but DS is so fidgety, excited and flappy he ends up totally covered!

Where's the best place to get some kind of plastics coverall? Any advice on avoiding mess? Only one meal a day ATM and it take a full clean up session afterwards, god know what I'll do when he's on 3 meals a day... When does it get better? Do they learn to concentrate on being fed and flap around a bit less?

Orangedaisy Thu 30-Oct-14 14:58:05

You have my sympathy. DD is 7 months and we are on three meals a day and I absolutely dread mealtimes. Seem to spend the entire day cleaning her and the floor/high chair. We started BLW and now spoon feeding (mixing it up depending what works that particular day) and they are both as messy as each other I think. We have given up on bibs and just strip down to nappy for each meal. IKEA high chair is easy enough to clean and we don't strap her in yet so the straps don't get grubby. Laminate floor just gets a wipe after every meal and antibacterial spray once a day so she can have the food back that's been on the floor. I have stopped caring too much if she isn't spotless after every meal (we bath every night so she goes to bed clean). When out and about we stick to cucumber, rice cakes and other 'clean' food. I read somewhere that you should embrace the mess. Hmmmm.

Flingmoo Thu 30-Oct-14 23:54:10

I guess it's time to crank the heating up and he can eat in a vest and bib! He had a little dunk in the sink after today's apple and prune puree carnage...

froootbat Thu 30-Oct-14 23:59:35

You can get coveralls! They're like bibs with sleeves and I LOVE them, I want to marry them!

Flingmoo Fri 31-Oct-14 07:52:44

I think that's what we need! Although he would probably still get food up the sleeves and down through the collar!

Doublethecuddles Fri 31-Oct-14 08:00:45

I got long sleeved cloth front with waterproof bank bibs which they wore with traditional pelican bibs as well. Figured washing cloth bibs in the machine was easier than cleaning baby every time!

Littlef00t Fri 31-Oct-14 16:34:14

Bibetta bibs are the only option in my opinion. Sleeves with elastic and can get tight collar with velcro. I add a muslin or tea towel round her waist and she can eat tomato sauce without getting anything on her clothes.

HaroldLloyd Fri 31-Oct-14 16:35:45

It's just never ending cleaning until they get a bit more civilised!

Bibs with arms, eating in nappy only or just before bath and a plastic cover on the floor maybe?

DS is 20 mo and still eats like a little piggie.

omri Sat 01-Nov-14 15:49:47

I feel your pain - something useful I got recently are those plastic sheets for the floor under the high chair. At least you're not washing the floor too then every time... Just shake the dirty mat outside after the meal.

Flingmoo Sun 02-Nov-14 18:41:10

I've dug the formerly pointless top-and-tail bowl out of retirement to deal with my mucky baby!

Flingmoo Sun 02-Nov-14 18:43:01

Also, I always thought it was gross when other people's babies were all sticky and grubby with food and drool everywhere. But now I've got my own grubby baby with brown food mush all around his mouth and sticky hands, I think nothing of it

ThursdayLast Sun 02-Nov-14 18:43:51

These ikea ones saved my sanity.

NorahBone Mon 03-Nov-14 20:51:19

I would go for the IKEA coverall bibs but if, like me, you live nowhere near an IKEA, supermarkets often do them for a couple of quid.

Flingmoo Tue 04-Nov-14 09:44:41

Thanks - I will invest in a couple of those coveralls methinks! It's either that or spend ££££ cranking the heating up so he can eat in just a nappy or vest!

I've got one of those silicone Tommee Tippee pelican bibs but when I put it on him, he just wants to grab it, scrunch it up and chew on it. It was actually creating more mess so I've ditched that for the time being. I've actually been using terry nappies folded into big triangles for bibs, which has been helping a little bit as it completely covers the chin and neck area. Doesn't solve the flappiness though!

blushingmare Thu 06-Nov-14 22:29:25

The best advice I had was someone on here who said buy a whole load of soft cloths and use one each meal time. Cloth wipes down baby first, then table & highchair, then floor and then gets chucked in the washing machine. I still do this now with 2yo DD, although there's less floor washing these days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now