Talk

Advanced search

Where to start?

(6 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheRockShow Tue 14-Oct-14 13:46:57

DD is only 3 and a half months, so unlikely be weaning for a couple more months. I am a planner, and so like to know as much as possible and prepare as much as possible. I had always thought we would do baby led weaning, but as DD was a month early we'll be starting weaning a 6 months actual age, but 5 months adjusted. Therefore I think we'll be going with purees?
Anyone got any essential item tips, or good books to read for weaning onto purees?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Oct-14 14:22:47

You won't necessarily have to start with purees Girl. The 6 months thing is just a guide, what is more important is whether they are displaying your baby is displaying the signs of readiness. If Lo isn't, then she's just not ready, no matter how old she is smile

If she is displaying the signs, then letting her feed herself is fine. My dd started at 23 weeks when she grabbed and scoffed a ham sandwich.

The equipment I found useful were a couple of sippy cups, a cheap shower curtain to put on the floor (if you have a dog it will do the same job smile) and a few bibs, we liked a couple of long sleeved ones for things like spag Bol.

If you want to get a book, see if your library has this one. The MN weaning info is very good too although the weaning timetable is a little out of date. The current nhs guidelines are to move towards offering food 3 times a day between 8 and 9 months.

Good luck smile

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Wed 15-Oct-14 14:39:16

Thanks for your response. I'm going with what paediatrician told us which is 6 months actual age. Something to do with gut maturity. The usual guidelines are based on term babies.
We do have a dog. And laminate flooring so not too worried about mess!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Oct-14 14:41:29

That's fine then smile

StarMeKitten Sat 01-Nov-14 21:43:37

I did a mix of BLW and spoon feeding with DD1 and intend to do the same with 20 week old DD2 in around a month, as it worked really well.
I found the annabel karmel book good for some ideas about purees to make up, but some of the ones I did were butternut squash, sweet potato, broccoli & cauli etc but I also gave her florets of broccoli, cauli, sticks of roast sweet potato etc to eat as well as tastes of anything we were having if it wasnt salty.
Also the occasional jar or pouch of baby food.
I found with this approach she was never bothered about lumpy food and and within a few months was pretty much having what we ate, just slightly mashed.

kathbabyemporium Sat 08-Nov-14 01:56:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now