Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby not eating much 7 mo

(8 Posts)
zinher Thu 11-Sep-14 22:31:56

7 month old takes tiny amount and still pretty much on milk. I have tried purees of all combinations but she wnt eat. Take a few tiny bits. Any tips what to do and how to proceed?

MB34 Thu 11-Sep-14 22:41:14

I wouldn't worry too much - as the saying goes 'food before 1 is just for fun'. I remember being told that the first 6 months they have milk and the second 6 months they learn to eat. So as long as they are eating/swallowing by 1, then you're doing great!

My DS didn't really swallow anything until 8.5 months, he was still wanting milk (bf) every 2 hours. Up until then, he played with the food, put it in his mouth, maybe chewed a bit then spat it back out.

So keep offering, they'll get there in the end.

zinher Thu 11-Sep-14 22:52:47

Thanks that is reassuring to hear.

MagpieMama Thu 11-Sep-14 23:03:30

Have you tried offering finger foods instead of purées?

zinher Thu 11-Sep-14 23:26:09

I did magpie but she chokes on them

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 12-Sep-14 01:02:02

Are you happy with the difference between gagging and choking? Choking is very unusual, it is silent and very scary. It would need intervention to remove the blockage eg putting across lap and slapping your baby's back etc.

Gagging is quite common, it is noisy and food may be spat out, sometimes followed by vomiting. Gagging is actually a good thing as it's a protective mechanism. It prevents food going too far back where it could become a choking risk.

Most babies gag a fair bit on finger food to begin with as they learn to manipulate food in their mouths. They usually get better at this quickly and the amount of gagging drops off. Try not to be alarmed at gagging, just watch calmly to check that your baby has sorted themselves out.

MagpieMama Fri 12-Sep-14 11:34:26

Exactly what Culture says, and just to add a baby's gag reflex is further forward than an adult's which is to protect them from choking and why they gag a lot when they start weaning. It looks and sounds a bit scary but is a normal and healthy response.

zinher Fri 12-Sep-14 13:06:37

Sounds like she has been gagging. Also vomited after a couple of times. It is still quite alarming though. Will give it a try again. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now