Talk

Advanced search

Mawbroon's oatcakes - a triumph!

(18 Posts)
aitch71 Thu 31-Aug-06 14:47:06

thanks for the recipe, they really are delicious.

Mum2FunkyDude Thu 31-Aug-06 14:50:09

I can vouch too, ds gobble it up in the time it took me to fill his cup with water! He didn't even want me to try and give him some of the pieces that broke off, I think he thought I was taking them from him!!!!!

mawbroon Thu 31-Aug-06 15:45:08

Oh excellent. I am pleased to hear it.

And it's the first time ever that I've been on a thread title. Hooray!

expatinscotland Thu 31-Aug-06 15:47:34

help! i can't find the recipe!

MrsBadger Thu 31-Aug-06 15:50:49

here - have just cadged it myself

expatinscotland Thu 31-Aug-06 15:53:06

Cheers! I've got a bag of lovely Oatmeal of Alford, the fine milled stuff, in the cupboard. Have pinhead as well. And medium. And plain ol' Scott's. And quick cook Scott's.

We love our porridge oats here!

aitch71 Thu 31-Aug-06 16:29:42

we don't have many left now as DH, DD and i feasted on cheese and hummus and biscuits for lunch. i just don't think you miss the salt as cheese is so bloomin' salty anyway. DD's strategy is to lick whatever topping is on them then intermittently return to the ever-softer oatcake until it's gone, gone, gone. am looking forward to taking them out with us as i custom-made them to fit in our silly wee tupperwares. but really, they are so nice for adults too. will stick photos on blog tonight.

wartywarthog Thu 31-Aug-06 19:24:32

ooo must try!!

DanielMummy Thu 31-Aug-06 22:05:16

Not sure where to buy oatmeal round here. I've only got jumbo sized oat flakes. Do you think a food processor would make them fine enough? The only other thing I've got remotely similar is Ready Brek and I guess that wouldn't work either.

aitch71 Thu 31-Aug-06 22:20:08

nooooo, a woman called Rachel tried them with porridge oats and declared them vile. Lakeland Limited definitely do oats, if there's one near you... or you would think that health food shops like holland and barrett would do them.

DanielMummy Thu 31-Aug-06 22:36:20

Thanks Aitch but unfortunately no. Just looked at their website and nearest Lakeland about 15 miles away. Will check the place where I got the jumbo oats.

wartywarthog Thu 31-Aug-06 23:28:28

oh no! can't find oatmeal! is it a health shop thing? or should i be able to get it in a sainsbury's?

MrsBadger Fri 01-Sep-06 08:13:22

you can get it in Sansbury's etc but it tends to be shelved with the flour and baking stuff rather than the porridge and cereals

Waitrose always have it if you happen to be near one, but they shelve it with the porridge/muesli

Mum2FunkyDude Fri 01-Sep-06 08:34:45

Hi I'm in the south east and I bought medium oatmeal in Tesco. In the homebaking isle!!

aitch71 Fri 01-Sep-06 10:00:23

well, i crossed the street to go to our local fruit and veg shop where i was greeted with a cornucopia of oatmeal delights, including fine, stroneground, pinhead, medium and rough oatmeal. we Jocks take our oats very seriously.

bobblehead Wed 24-Apr-13 20:41:46

bump for this recipe if anyone is still around? the blog has gone....

Cavatina Fri 26-Apr-13 09:44:07

i was intrigued too and found this one

www.foodinscotland.co.uk/recipes.html#thinoatcakes

have not tried it yet

Cavatina Fri 26-Apr-13 09:46:26

or this one?

www.babyledweaning.com/2006/mawbroons-home-made-oatcakes/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now