Talk

Advanced search

weaning no-no's!

(27 Posts)
Lisa78 Tue 23-Mar-04 11:42:52

Remind me! DS2 is just being weaned at 4.5 months, pureed carrots and the like, but I recall there are some things he shouldn't have but can't quite remember!!!
Can he have eggs at all - is it just soft boiled eggs he can't have
Honey is a no no
Wheat is a no no but I am struggling with this - what has wheat in it?!! Bread obviously but what else? Does pasta have wheat in it and the pre-made baby foods - none of them say wheat free
Fish?

Help!!!

emmatmg Tue 23-Mar-04 11:52:16

Is it more of a gluten thing rather than wheat? DS3 has been munching in my toast for a fair few weeks now and he'll be 6 months tomorrow. He has pasta in baby jars and the rare bit of homecooked food that he'll concider good enough to pass his lips. Actually I'm positive it's the gluten thing rather than wheat, and IIRC you avoid that if there are alergies in your family.

I think it's no eggs until 6 months and then properly cooked ie not soft.

That's all I can remember at the mo, hope it helps

hollydolly Tue 23-Mar-04 11:54:57

HI Lisa 78
Have just been through this baby now 7 months.
No Gluten (wheat, rye, barley and oats)
No Shellfish
No eggs
all of above can be given at 6 months

No honey, pate, soft cheese eg brie and danish blue - until baby is 12 months.

I used jars as this is 2nd baby and didnt have time this time to do my own food unfortunately, all the jars should have a list on side sayind gluten free, egg free etc

hope this helps

emmatmg Tue 23-Mar-04 11:55:17

Oh and I think fish and any other type of meat is advise to wait a while longer, don't know how long though. DS3 has spag bol and minted lamb with veg and has done for a little while so.........

bundle Tue 23-Mar-04 11:57:34

I'd go for single fruit/veg purees then try mixing them. start with carrot, pear, apple, (much-maligned but delicious) butternut squash, parsnip, potato etc etc just whatever is in season. anything with skins eg peas (use frozen) you need to mouli/sieve to get them out. both times I tried baby rice but it didn't go down terribly well because it looks/tastes like wallpaper paste.
eggs - supposed to be for over-ones because of allergy risk, but it's the whites that carry the risk apparently
honey - ok once they're one, risk is of botulism (!)
pasta is made with durum wheat normally, but you can get corn pasta. once baby is 6 mths wheat can be introduced gradually.
meat/fish I introduced from about 8 mths (I weaned dd2 at 6 months, breast milk only till then) eg pureed chicken stew, mild fish like plaice in cheesy sauce
cauliflower cheese - a big favourite, from 6 mths (cos it has flour in the sauce)

Crunchie Tue 23-Mar-04 12:03:11

Basically weaning is about intorducing foods one by one to a baby system. Therefore certain suggestions are made to what babies can digest at specific ages.

A rough guide (which comes from my head and experience) would suggest the foollowing
4 - 5 months - veggies and fruit, start of with singles like carrot, and build up to mixtures like carrot and parsnip or apple and pear.
6 - 9 months - this is where most other foods can be introduced. Meat - I started with chicken/turkey, Carbohydrates - pasta/rice (potatos I counted as veggies), and fish - plain white fish to start with. Also dairy - Full Fat cows milk can be used on cereal, or in cooking.
9 months plus - Other stuff like eggs (I think you are meant to introduce whites/yolks separtly but I didn't)
12 months plus - By now regular foods mushed up or not as your baby likes them

TBH unless you have allergies that are rampent in your family you shouldn't worry too much. The idea of doing one food at a time helps you pin point if there is something that is a problem.

I seem to remember DD2 at around 6 months was eating a simple casserole of chicken cooked with veggies/potato/herbs and then liquidised. About 1 chicken breast, one medium potato, one medium carrot, one parsnip and a few bits of broccoli, a pinch or more of herbs and water to cover. Boiled for about 40 mins (I did bigger quanities) and then liquidsed and put in freezer. This made many many meals and became the standard baby food I made. I then changed it by using a bit of red meat, and cooked for longer. Fish I did with mashed with a white sauce and mashed potato and broccoli.

There are many weaning books, Annabel Karmel will kill you, but she does have a good simple guide at the front. Look for baic information about what to introduce when, rather than complicted 'rabbit pizza' type recipes. Good Luck

PS you could always use jars!!

frogs Wed 24-Mar-04 12:38:53

I thought Department of Health advice now was to not wean until 6 months. Is anyone going along with this?

I would have thought the main advantage is that it saves the awkward 4-6 month stage where they can have somethings but not lots of others. Presumably at six months you can go straight in with a wider choice.

I'd be interested to hear any experiences, as froglet3 is now 3 months.

papillon Wed 24-Mar-04 12:51:56

This abit long... but very useful I think

The following schedule for introducing solid foods to the breastfed infant has been compiled from many naturopathic physicians who work with infants and children. Most physicians suggest avoiding common allergens such as cow's milk, wheat, oranges, eggs and
chocolate early in the introductory phase (up to the first year).
It is best to introduce one food at a time; preferably one every two to four days while observing for reactions: i.e. sneezing, runny nose, rash: circumoral or perianal, a change in stool or personality.

Non-allergenic foods should be rotated every five to six days to minimize sensitization which may occur when the same foods are eaten once or twice daily for five to seven consecutive days.

> age: 6 months
* introduce: hypoallergenic pureed, mashed foods containing iron

carrots
blackberries
kiwi
zucchini squash
broccoli
yams
sprouts (blended in water)
cauliflower
Jerusalem artichoke
blueberries
prunes
apricots
pears
cherries
banana
grapes
peaches
applesauce

> age: 9 months
* introduce: foods high in zinc and good for the immune system

sweet potato
cabbage
oatmeal

papaya
apples
lima beans
string beans
nectarines
potato
black strap molasses
split pea soup
millet
artichoke
peas
basmati rice

> age: 12 months
* introduce: foods high in zinc and bulk

acorn squash
barley
chard
tofu
yogurt
parsnips
asparagus
avocado
egg yolk
goat's milk
rice
onions
garlic
spirulina
honey

> age: 18 months
* introduce: foods high in B vitamins and calcium

tahini
rutabaga
beans
lamb
green leafy vegetables
buckwheat
fish
eggplant
rye
chicken
beets
kelp

> age: 21 months
* introduce: foods high in protein

Information provided by ED.HARRIS Ph.(07) 571 2025

egg
almond butter
wheat
turkey
cashew butter
brewer's yeast
beef's liver
pineapple
walnuts
cow's milk
oranges
lentils

> age: 2-3 years old:
* introduce: foods high in protein

sunflower seeds
cottage cheese
soy
peanut butter
clams
corn

papillon Wed 24-Mar-04 12:53:05

Another one on Vegertarian infant food introductions:

> age: 4-5 months
* introduce:
ripe bananas, avocado, papaya, mango, sweet potatoes, and/or yogurt;
all foods should be thoroughly mashed or pureed
* amounts:
single food per meal, one meal per day; breastfeeding as the main
source of food

> age: 5-6.5 months
* introduce: grains (rice, barley, millet, oatmeal), vegetables (peas,
lima beans, green beans, squash), more fruits and fruit juices; all
foods should be thoroughly mashed
* amounts: one or two foods at a meal, two meals a day, juice for a
snack once a day; breastfeeding still major source of food

> age: 6.5-8 months
* introduce: egg yolks, stronger vegetables (cabbage, spinach, kale,
collard greens)
* amounts: two to three meals a day, or two meals and finger food
snacks; breastfeeding at least twice a day

> age: 8-9 months
* introduce: legumes, tofu, nut and seed butters, cheese, bulghar, any
other vegetables, fruits or grains that have not been introduced
previously. Meals can be in a less pureed form, but there should be no
large or hard chunks. Finger food can be chunkier
* amounts: three meals a day plus finger food snacks; breastfeeding
twice a day, especially if no milk products are being given at meals

> note: opinions vary as to when citrus fruits should be introduced;
usually somewhere between 7 months and one year

hercules Wed 24-Mar-04 20:36:36

Frog, there is a thread here somewhere for people waiting until 6 months.

Clayhead Wed 24-Mar-04 20:43:25

frogs, I waited until 6 months with ds and it was exactly as you said, it was far easier as you can just introduce most things straight away and miss out the 4-6 month bit. I weaned dd at 4 months and personally found weaning at 6 months easier, as well as it going a lot faster since ds was more capapble than he was at 4 months old.

Clayhead Wed 24-Mar-04 20:45:39

frogs, this is the thread I think Hercules was referring to.

frogs Thu 25-Mar-04 10:13:57

Thanks for that. I'm going to wait till six months I think.

dd2 has been sleeping through pretty reliably since about 8 weeks (I know, I know, you all hate me), so if she started waking up hungry in the night I would definitely notice the difference!

bundle Thu 25-Mar-04 10:15:49

dd2 only had solids from 6 months, and I left it till 5.5 mths with dd1 (she's nearly 4). both have good appetites & feel I've done my best by them, but it's a v personal decision

Heathcliffscathy Thu 25-Mar-04 22:24:32

Hello!, first ever message, bit nervous...am weaning ds (started at 17 weeks - he was waking up every 1 1/2 hours and it was killing us, also had doubled birth weight, also nearly bit my finger off when i offered him some baby rice on it) all going really well (sleeping from 7 til 7 most nights with a 10pm breastfeed) apart from seems to posset up veggies: seems fine with baby rice and takes everything with gusto but any veggies seem to appear on his babygro after lunch...he is still primarily on breastmilk with one formula feed a day...some of the vegges is going thro (appears in nappy ) have been doing little teaspoon of veg different one every three days - okay, hands up, am following gina ford for weaning...be gentle with me as am guilt racked enough as it is and have read far far too many books...any suggestions gratefully received x

Redwood Thu 25-Mar-04 22:50:50

Hi Sophable, is your ds waking up less at night sinc the weaning? If so then he must be getting something from the extra food. Also are you still giving milk at the same time as giving the veg, as this may be over filling him and so some is coming back up. Do you think all is coming back up or just some?

Dont worry though, as long as he is sleeping more and happy he will only bring up what he doesnt need. Also i used some of the GF weaning tips but tried all different veg every day, this does give them more variety and how many babies have you heard of recting to a certain type of vegetable?

Heathcliffscathy Thu 25-Mar-04 22:56:18

Yes, ds waking up less totally coincided with introducing solids but also more structured feeds during the day - as per gf am giving breastfeed first so may be you are right, just some coming up so now that i'm writing this feel as if maybe isn't big problem, maybe posset more noticeable because has flecks of vegetable in it...having said that tho, in last two nights has started waking at 2.30am, am wondering if due to digestive trouble - who knows, could be growth spurt but doesn't seem happy at all when wakes...i guess i just stick with it and keep giving him food as long as he is enjoying it..thanks v much for your post redwood, just reading reassurance makes me feel so much better...

Redwood Thu 25-Mar-04 22:59:48

sophable, one last thing I remember following all the books re how much food to give my dd when first weaning and she started waking up more at night !!
Looking back I realised I was't giving her enough and she was actually still hungry, so as you gradually cut down the milk don't forget to up the solids.
Good luck

Heather120179 Tue 20-Apr-04 08:31:57

Hi there,
I am currently weaning my son who is now 5 months old and all is well. I am using the Gina Ford book, and he is responding really well to the routine and the programme within it. There is only one problem though - I have been searching for organic barley to put in his meals. The only suppliers I can find are US based - I don't mind ordering this, but can't help feeling it would be easier to us a UK supplier. Please help!!!!!

muddaofsuburbia Tue 20-Apr-04 08:52:01

Hi Heather! I used the GF book too and remember the barley bit. I searched high and low and gave up. I was given the Annabel Karmel baby and toddler meal planner book (white square-shaped book) and swapped in some of her recipes instead. I'm not sure if you've got as far as pureed courgette yet, but it's the first time a perfectly innocent food has actually made me gag - we skipped that bit too

I did eventually find a bag of normal barley last year and it's still unopened in my cupboard! All the best!

toddlerbob Tue 20-Apr-04 10:26:24

Heather, forgive me, but you are insane. Why on earth would you even consider ordering something from the States for a baby who will probably dribble most of it out anyway, just because a book told you so?

Heather120179 Tue 20-Apr-04 11:13:26

Toddlerbob, there is no need to be rude. I'm only using the book as a guide, as this is our first child. We have no experience of doing this for ourselves before!. For your information, he doesn't dribble it out, he is able to eat unlike, it seems, your children. Isn't this supposed to be a free forum where people can post problems they are having without the fear of being shot down in flames for asking sensible and clear questions?

gloworm Tue 20-Apr-04 11:20:51

heather-you can get organic barley in any good health shop. if they dont stock it they will probably order a bag for you at no extra cost.

Blu Tue 20-Apr-04 11:24:56

Heather, I think Toddlerbob had her tongue firmly in her cheek there....

Heather120179 Tue 20-Apr-04 11:28:12

oops

Just didn't like being made to feel stupid...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »