Talk

Advanced search

The best way to start?

(4 Posts)
OrlaithOB1 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:59:23

Can anyone advise on what is the best food/cereal to use at the very start of weaning?
My mum advised getting some baby cereal but I have know idea what would be best to use.
Also, should I move him on to 'follow on' milk? Hes currently on 'Hungry Baby' milk so I do I need to move him up a level? I feel so confused?!

ExBrightonBell Wed 26-Mar-14 12:35:03

So, assuming your ds is 6 months, you can start weaning with any foods except honey, and choking hazards such as whole nuts. There's no need to buy a specific baby cereal unless you want to - I started with porridge made with ordinary oats that I blended to make the porridge a bit smoother. Lots of people like Ready Brek for similar reasons.

Have a look at the NHS weaning advice to give you an overview. I would also suggest having a look at the weaning section in your local library.

Finally, no need to buy follow on milk, unless you want to change your ds's milk. It only exists to give the formula manufacturers something to advertise after they were banned from advertising first formulas. Some people swap to it though as it can be included in special offers or points deals unlike first milk. The NHS recommend sticking to first milk until 1yr old (if not breastfeeding) and then switching to full fat cows milk.

HTH.

OrlaithOB1 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:25:08

Thats a great help - thank you so much

coffeeandcream Wed 26-Mar-14 13:28:49

Don't bother buying baby rice, it tastes like glue / wall paper paste!

If you want cereal specifically, get normal ready brek made with whole milk. Agree with PP that follow on milk is an advertising scam, just not necessary at all.

Fruit purees are nice first foods, my DS loved apple and pear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now