Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for snacks for ds 15mo

(13 Posts)
cleoowen Mon 24-Mar-14 11:16:29

Not really weaning related but unsure where to post.

Ds is beginning to drop his day cup of milk and have a snack instead . He's not interested in his milk but will scoff down a snack. This is a recent thing so not prepared with foods so have given him oat cakes with cream cheese on last couple of days.

Any other ideas for easy, non messy snacks which can easily be taken out and about? Don't really want to do fruit all the time as he has loads of fruit for puddings.

Also, do you get your dc to sit down during snack time if you're out? Ds wants to be up all the time but bit stressful yesterday as he crushed his banana into the rug ,carpet and sofa.

CornishYarg Mon 24-Mar-14 12:41:02

I give homemade muffins (savoury and fruit), homemade flapjacks, raisins, cubes of cheese and a cracker, biscuits now and again, fruit.

I do make him sit down to eat; partly because of the mess but also because he runs round a lot so I don't think it's very safe to eat while running. We had some protests initially but he knows the score now!

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Mon 24-Mar-14 12:48:25

I had a rule that food could only ever be eaten at the table, that included snacks, chocolate, drinks, anything. It was easy because the childminder had the same rule.

For me fiddly things were good so things like carrot sticks and a dip like hummous, raisins in boxes, crackers and hummous with a plastic knife to practice spreading (little older obviously)

jimijack Mon 24-Mar-14 12:50:29

I take a pot of cherios, Pom bear crisps, little biscuits, chunks of cheese.

I did all of the super healthy stuff with child number 1, now..with number 2....meh, not so much!

He homes in when he wants something although he tipped a pot of cherios all over the rug yesterday then methodically picked each one up and put them back into the pot.

cleoowen Mon 24-Mar-14 16:36:02

Cornishyarm- any reciepes for the savoury muffins? I like the idea of healthier things which have no or very little sugar in them.

Are Pom bears healthy?

minipie Mon 24-Mar-14 17:02:33

marking place! we do cheese cubes, rice cakes, breadsticks, raisins, fruit, and those ellas/organix chewy bars but could do with branching out a bit.

snacks often happen in the buggy as we are out of the house a lot so prefer not too messy ideas. not really keen on being tied to a high chair 5 times a day. The muffins sound good as do oatcakes and cream cheese (I may be a bit optimistic about how neatly that could be eaten mind you).

I don't let her run around eating though, it's high chair or buggy generally. or chair at playgroup.

CornishYarg Mon 24-Mar-14 18:04:38

This is the recipe from the BLW cookbook for cheese and spinach muffins which I use as a base and substitute different things in instead eg grated carrot, tomato, ham etc

Makes 10 regular sized muffins

1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
175g plain flour
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
110ml milk
125g grated cheese
60-75g torn spinach leaves
(The recipe also specifies 1 tsp cayenne pepper but I leave it out as it makes it really spicy!)

Preheat oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Fry onion in oil or butter till soft, lift out with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Put flour and baking powder in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Beat egg and mix in milk, then pour into the flour and fold together.

Add cheese, onion and spinach and fold gently till mixed. Spoon mixture into a greased muffin tray. Bake for 15-20 mins till golden and springy. Allow to cool in the tray for a few mins then turn out.

cleoowen Mon 24-Mar-14 20:34:48

Thanks, great ideas. Off to the shops.

Stars66 Mon 24-Mar-14 22:48:05

Great recipe idea thanks, dd needs more healthy snacks for when she gets back from nursery. Although they say she's had dinner, we find she's always starving and asking for food.

beckslovestimmy Tue 25-Mar-14 15:51:02

DD is 14 months , she really likes falafels and they are quite handy for snacks.

cleoowen Tue 25-Mar-14 18:17:47

What are falafels?

beckslovestimmy Tue 25-Mar-14 19:34:03

They are meatball in shape and size and made with chickpeas and lots of herbs and spices. Here's a definition 1.
a Middle Eastern dish of spiced mashed chickpeas or other pulses formed into balls or fritters and deep-fried, usually eaten with or in pitta bread.

I got some in the veggie section of sainsbo's but I guess they'd be easy to make, waitrose do sweet potato ones. Very yummy and just as nice hot or cold. HTH

zirca Tue 25-Mar-14 19:36:06

My DS has one of the following as a snack:
- rice cakes
- banana
- mini pack of raisins
- piece of bread with a smidge of spread
- yoghurt (if home)

It's usually banana/raisins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now