Talk

Advanced search

7m DS can't get food off his tongue easily

(6 Posts)
chocolatesolveseverything Wed 12-Mar-14 03:06:33

Is this normal?

We're doing a mixture of purees and blw. DS loves being given something like crusty bread, a bit of cheese, or a bit of chicken to chew on, but after a while he gets upset that stuff is on his tongue and he doesn't seem able to move the food around easily himself. so sometimes I've even had to put my fingers in his mouth to remove bits of food from the middle of his tongue as he's so distressed. If it's something very juicy like pear he can manage it himself, albeit slowly.

His feeding has always been awful. He has silent reflux and is exceptionally windy. He's been checked for tongue tie umpteen times but I have my doubts as this difficulty with getting food off his tongue seems weird to me. The other night he still had specks of food on there almost an hour after he'd eaten!

chocolatesolveseverything Wed 12-Mar-14 03:10:50

Just to say, I know that putting my fingers in his mouth is a choking hazard but I can't work out what else to do. He's not gagging - just crying with his mouth open with food on his tongue. Offering water occasionally helps but usually he doesn't want it as he's too upset.

KikiShack Wed 12-Mar-14 09:21:36

No wisdom from me I'm afraid, just didn't want to read and run. I hope you get some improvement soon, your poor little boy getting distressed at stuff stuck on his tongue!

chocolatesolveseverything Wed 12-Mar-14 20:00:43

Thanks Kiki. I took some advice from the lovely Charlie at Milk Matters and saw my GP this afternoon. Turns out he does have a posterior tongue tie and that's why he's unable to move food effectively round his mouth.

BikerBex Sun 16-Mar-14 20:10:29

Hi
My son RT is 6m and sounds so like DS. He has suspected tongue tie at the back and has had v bad wind which was really hard to get up especially when he was small. Even the midwives struggled. Have suspected he's had reflux but seems to have grown out of these a bit. Trying to wean him atm but he doesn't seem ready. Keeps spitting everything out. His tongue is always stuck out so wondering if he's struggling with eating because of this (have tried bits of soft food eg custard/cheese sauce etc) our pediatrician has said we can go to see her if he struggles but I think it's a bit early yet.
Wondering if DS manages fine with soft juicy food if you should just stick with those for a bit longer until he's a bit more used to moving things around his mouth and the feel of the food in his mouth.

chocolatesolveseverything Tue 18-Mar-14 13:04:50

Thanks Biker. Yes we're just doing very soft foods at the moment. Last night he managed a few bites of cauliflower but it was really hard work for him. He was grimacing and moaning and rocking! Good luck with your weaning journey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now