Talk

Advanced search

Cereals

(23 Posts)
Firsttimemum84 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:02:38

Getting into a bit of a breakfast rut-mainly porridge and a banana. Sometimes toast and at weekends often do egg on toast/eggy bread.

My question is, are there any cereals besides porridge that you can give to a baby (10 months old) that doesn't involve taking out a second mortgage and buying baby specific cereal?!wink wink

spammytrollface Mon 10-Mar-14 09:07:48

banana or porridge is absolutely finegrin
ready brek or weetabix, toast, bagel, scrambled egg, croissant, anything that's not very salty is perfectly ok. no need for baby cereal at all.

spammytrollface Mon 10-Mar-14 09:09:42

I also gave own brand shreddies type cereal (nestle free house) just watch the salt but own brands are often lower salt than the big brands.

BillyAndBamBam Mon 10-Mar-14 09:13:03

I give my 11mo porridge, then toast or a toasted tea cake or a couple of slices of sorreen and then fruit. She occasionally has Weetabix but she doesn't really like it. You could try yoghurt and fruit with Weetabix crunched on top if your little one will eat it. (mine hates yoghurt at the minute!)

Beanymonster Mon 10-Mar-14 09:22:57

We do porridge with these weird little puff things (think sugar puffs without the sugar!) (Morrisons own brand), or weetabix and bran flakes and banana, or apricot wheaties (asda own brand) eggy bread, or....... No, no, we are in a 4 day rut too!

rachyconks Mon 10-Mar-14 09:24:52

My DD loves Cheerios. Leave them to soak in the milk for a few mins. The large boxes are £2 in asda at the minute.

Sunflower1985 Mon 10-Mar-14 17:19:36

My ds loves shredded wheat - no added salt/sugar so that's easy.

Firsttimemum84 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:49:04

Thanks for all the replies, just get a bit caught up in the whole 'no salt/sugar' thing....my oh however thinks nothing of letting him try biscuits/ice creamwink do you give cheerios/shredded wheat with milk and if so with formula I assume?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 10-Mar-14 18:51:27

full fat cows milk can be used in cereal/cooking, etc from 6 months

GreenGoblin0 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:41:51

My DD has never liked baby cereal,

Would second weetabix and they are also good at soaking up milk if you want to try to get a bit more milk in your DCS diet. They do have added sugar and salt but not Loads. My DD also likes bran flakes but they are deceptively high in sugar so we've stopped getting them. Shredded wheat and shredded wheat bites are good as they have nothing else added, no salt or sugar. DD also likes muesli we get a very basic no added salt/sugar own brand and just check for nuts. Current fave is shreddies but they do have some added salt/sugar. All own brand btw.

rachyconks Mon 10-Mar-14 20:18:04

I've used cows milk in porridge & cereals from 6 months.

Spindelina Tue 11-Mar-14 13:17:18

Mini shredded wheat with whole cow's milk is our staple. Great for fork practice!

Our can't-be-bothered-to-clean-up breakfast is croissants or pancakes (which we stash in the freezer).

UnicornCrisps Tue 11-Mar-14 13:19:44

Mine likes mini shredded wheat dipped in yoghurt so she can pick them up herself

Artandco Tue 11-Mar-14 13:20:13

Porridge is fine tbh. Ours have a choice of porridge, oatibix, eggs, mushrooms etc..

They pick porridge 99% of the time. It's slow energy release so no need for endless morning snacking. No sugar and warming before they head outside.

UnicornCrisps Tue 11-Mar-14 13:20:35

Or pancakes, the 2 egg 1 banana ones, really easy.

Firsttimemum84 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:45:17

Thanks all-whats the 2 egg 1 banana pancake? Silly question but do you just add a splash of milk to the cereal so its a bit soft or having it swimming iyswim?

Beanymonster Tue 11-Mar-14 21:57:43

I'm not sure what everyone else does, but personally we heat up our dds weetabix.. It makes it mushy and she loves it warm! Means you don't use as much milk!!

Spindelina Wed 12-Mar-14 09:08:24

At first we kept the bowl of milk and softened each mini shredded wheat before handing it over. Now she gets the bowl too, but with six mini shredded wheat (that's what fits in one layer) and just enough milk to make them soft - the leftover milk inevitably gets tipped out.

Works for us, but see what works for you!

UnicornCrisps Wed 12-Mar-14 09:54:08

Literally just a mushed up soft banana whisked with 2 eggs, dollop a spoonful in a frying pan on a low heat. They come out like sweet scotch pancakes and freeze really well.

Firsttimemum84 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:44:24

Thanks Unicorn-going to have to try these as they sound yummy!
Thanks all for all your help.

UnicornCrisps Wed 12-Mar-14 14:10:51

You can make them with a blended tin of sweetcorn instead of banana too, also freeze well.

neversleepagain Wed 12-Mar-14 20:31:31

We are in a rut too but they don't seem to mind. Mine at 17 months and we alternate between porridge, semolina, scrambled eggs with toast and fruit.

Eletheomel Wed 12-Mar-14 21:48:13

We're at 9 months and don't have that much variety for bfast.

Generally for a spooned bfast it is either the finely milled readybrek mixed with pureed fruit (to give it some flavour so that it doesnt' taste like wallpaper paste...) or weetabix with some fruit segments on the side, and for finger food bfasts it's porridge and cinammon fingers served with fruit segments (slices of apple/nectarine/strawberries etc.) or toast (although I often save toast for lunchtimes).

I used to give DS1 banana porridge all the time (which I love!) but DS2 seems to get constipated quite easily so going sparingly on bananas.

I love the idea of the banana pancakes though, might try them for myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now