Talk

Advanced search

How to wean advice

(7 Posts)
MunchkinJess Sat 22-Feb-14 20:53:59

im getting myself into a real picklesad

my baby is 4.5months and although we have a few weeks to go I am just getting so worked up and nervous about weaning.

baby led weaning petrifies me but people seem to love it.

I am just really not sure what road to go down and my health visitor ia zero helpful.

how did you start and what way did yoyt wean ?

marzipananimal Sat 22-Feb-14 20:55:55

I did blw and really enjoyed it. If you want to consider it then reading the book will give you a lot more confidence I think.

ExBrightonBell Sun 23-Feb-14 00:33:38

Don't do anything if it makes you petrified and nervous!

I did BLW and found it brilliant, enjoyable and good fun. My ds is still going well at 19 months - eats lots, and a varied range of foods. It is a popular approach now, but that doesn't mean you have to do it. Part of the approach of BLW is to be relaxed about mealtimes, so if it makes you really nervous that could be counter productive!

I would get a few books about weaning from you library (including the Gill Rapley BLW one) and have a read up on the topic. Knowledge is power and all that. Then you can decide what you want to do.

gretagrape Sun 23-Feb-14 11:24:26

I felt the same, but sometimes it's best not to overthink things because you never know what will suit you best so really you just need to go with the flow and enjoy it.
I started with purees, because I found that having a stash of stuff in the freezer was easier for us (he couldn't just have bits of our dinner due to food allergies) but also from day 1 I'd give him a spoon of food to get him used to holding it and eventually getting the hang of feeding himself. Over the course of a few weeks I made the purees more mashy/textured, then started on finger foods at around 7 months.
He now (almost 11mo) feeds himself almost entirely - either picking stuff up from the tray, or picking up loaded spoons from the bowl.
Have fun with it - once they start chasing peas and grapes for hours on end it's a great laugh!

Antidote Sun 23-Feb-14 11:39:05

First I'd say wait till 6 months, so you have st least 6 weeks to go. Your baby will have changed loads by then.

Next, get a nice simple 2nd hand high chair like an Ikea antelop.

In about a month start putting your baby in the high chair at the table when you have your meals.

Once he or she is 6 months, has good sitting balance and looks interested in the food you are eating then start giving them little bits and pieces of what you are having (within reason).

The BLW cook book is worth reading for some ideas.

If you don't fancy blw then have a read of Annabel Karmel for a different approach.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Feb-14 11:41:03

you dont have to do all puree or all finger foods as a mix of both is fine too. I did finger foods alongside purees and phased out purees as they got better with feeding themselves

Novia Sun 23-Feb-14 21:32:17

Must admit that the BLWing leaves me cold as I hate the mess and making food that only accidentally goes in the baby's mouth! grin It's for people far more relaxed than me.

I'm just doing a mixture if finger foods and puree. I've loved weaning as I was getting a bit bored if BFing and ready for the next step.

I've really enjoyed cooking (my DD eats better than me) and the best bit of baby-kit that I have bought is my Avent steamer/blender which I use practically every day. Goes in the dishwasher and is totally fab!

I love knowing I have a freezer full of good for baby and just defrost a selection of different food as and when I need it.

In terms of finger food - toast, fruit and veg are winners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now