Talk

Advanced search

BLW reasurring MIL

(8 Posts)
purplemurple1 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:07:53

MIL is in her 80's and is worried about the BLW as she has seen ds (5.5 months) be sick while eating and thinks he just won't get enough food and/or will choke.

We get on well and really don't want her stressing out about this, is there any good simple info I can show her as to why BLW is good and that he will be OK and fed enough? Also is there any way to limit the food waste as seeing food thrown around is probably just as stressful for her?

(We live next door so see a lot of each other, share food bills etc.)

Trenzalor Fri 21-Feb-14 15:53:12

I got Gill Rapley's book and that armed me with info! I got it on kindle so I could read on my phone when BF!

HellomynameisIcklePickle Sat 22-Feb-14 06:46:18

I'm on my phone but Gill does a little pdf you could print off? Although I will be honest with you I used every argument there is and I still get a lot of PA comments from my mum!

AnythingNotEverything Sat 22-Feb-14 07:05:48

Oh dear God. My MIL is coming to stay next week and I'm now sure all she'll talk about is weaning. My mother, on the other hand, thinks I should've stopped breastfeeding at 6 weeks confused

I'd arm yourself with some facts - more calories in milk, gagging is different to choking, it won't help with sleep etc.

Best of luck!

HellomynameisIcklePickle Sat 22-Feb-14 08:33:31

Here's the leaflet www.rapleyweaning.com/assets/blwleaflet.pdf

LittleBearPad Sat 22-Feb-14 08:40:44

Remind her that he's still getting loads of milk and thus is the main form of nutrition until he's one.

Re choking babies can cough and splitter with spoon feeding too.

Sunnysummer Sat 22-Feb-14 08:51:32

Agree with the gill rapley book. I also found that I could enlist my MIL and GM's firm belief that things were better 'in their day' to commiserate with them about how in the past tere was so much less processed and junk food about, but that in the current climate of easy calories and overeating, our DCs need to be more in touch with their hunger than ever before.

One other thing, 5.5 months is early to be doing much in the way of BLW, to reduce food waste could you just give little bites of whatever you're having rather than too much food, while you wait for your DS to improve his hand coordination and appetite.

purplemurple1 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:46:55

His appetite is raging and we've been told to cut back milk and wean early as he was gaining too much weight. Thanks for the leaflet maybe I'll do a bit of spoon and finger food rather than blw until he is a little older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now