Talk

Advanced search

Please help me stop my mum from having a go at me?

(11 Posts)
Strawberryteddybear Thu 20-Feb-14 14:49:46

She regularly asks what he's had for lunch and goes on for a full 10 minutes about how its not varied enough and he should be having different foods to fatten him up. ds has always been petit like his dad and i know she thinks im under feeding him, she is trying to help but this is a very sore spot for me and I always have a cry after speaking with her.

Ds is 9 months, we started weaning around 5.5 months and he's just now get comfy with eating properly. Trouble is, I'm struggling to know what to feed him an running out of ideas, he has a lot tomato based foods, pasta, vegetables, fruit but even I'm getting bored of giving him the same stuff!

I'm not really a big cook anyway and I'm worried I'll make him a fussy eater by sticking to the same foods and not helping him explore.

Any tips or good websites/ books anyone can recommend?

purplemurple1 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:57:57

Is there a reason he isn't just eating what you eat?

Boltonlass1972 Thu 20-Feb-14 15:09:27

I liked the Annabel Karmel book for ideas. Sounds like the issue with your mum is not 'the issue' : would she be quite controlling anyway with you? I presume this is ds1? Mums love to help And sometimes don't mean to sound interfering. Make sure you thank her, but at the same time make it clear that you have some ideas you are trying that might differ from hers, but you still appreciate her love and care. A lot of foods are tomato based off I remember anything about the number of HIPP jars that were red! You can make some cheese sauce, freeze it in ice cube trays then add to meals. You will find as PP suggested that you can mash up some of the meals you have too. Hope you get through it: it's party of asserting your independence and being a mummy in your own right..and you're a good mum..otherwise you wouldn't be asking MN for advice wink

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 15:12:37

Any tips or good websites/ books anyone can recommend?

Yes, MN, babyledweaning recipes and this book. Your library will probably have a copy. Actually while I think about it, I borrowed this book from our library.

Has he tried things like eggy bread, sardines on toast, omelette etc? Could you have a bit of a quick baking session? These cheese straws will keep for a few days in an airtight container. Pancakes usually freeze well as do savoury muffins smile

jumperooo Thu 20-Feb-14 15:16:55

Sounds a fine weaning diet to me. If it was me I would tell her to back off, he's your child. But if that's not for you, then Just tell her whatever she needs to hear wink

By the way, nothing you do will change whether he becomes fussy or not. It's a personality/development thing, experts say 1 in 2 toddlers become fussy whether they were previously puree fed, baby led weaned, fed purely on fish fingers or eating a multi national cuisine diet!

CMOTDibbler Thu 20-Feb-14 15:17:22

If you are having problems thinking of things to cook generally, you could try downloading a menu plan - MN, Tescos have them for free, then you'll all get more interesting meals.

You could also just try saying 'food mum' when your mum asks, rather than opening yourself up for a critique

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 15:19:54

Agree with jump. I've fed one on purees and one blw and both have gone through a fussy stage.

crikeybadger Thu 20-Feb-14 15:24:05

My dd is a bit younger and we're doing blw. To give you an idea, I make pasta, cauliflower cheese, falafels, omelette, steak, salmon and ginger 'burgers', meatballs, roasted veg, tofu, noodles. I use the bbc good food website a lot for inspiration.

Strawberryteddybear Thu 20-Feb-14 18:48:57

P

Strawberryteddybear Thu 20-Feb-14 18:52:51

Silly phone!

Some really great tips - thank you! I'll try them all smile

I'll sometimes give him what we eat and he'll have a bit but he's very sometime-ish, so what he likes one day, he won't the next. It can be frustrating! I started really well with lots of puréed veg and sweet potato but he just wasn't ready and hardly ate it. I know I need to try these again and be patient.

This is ds1 and my mum can be very controlling, I just need to be more assertive with her!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Feb-14 20:05:53

Think its pretty normal to eat something one day and not another. Sometimes I really fancy a bacon sandwich and other times I really fancy fish pie, think babies are the same. Plus babies and children often eat more some days than others so if they are rejecting food, just assume they're not hungry.

I'd just plan out a couple of day's food, have fun with it and see how you there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now