Talk

Advanced search

8 month old hates the high chair

(10 Posts)
widdle Wed 19-Feb-14 16:14:30

He will not eat in it and just cries. Once I put him on the play mat he is happy as larry and eats whatever I give him while playing around. The only problem is it is sooooooo messy - food all over the mat, on me, on the toys. But it is the only way I can get him to eat.

Am I teaching him bad habits? Also any ideas how to keep it less messy? We do a mixture of purees and finger foods.

Also I've picked him up from nursery and quite often he is in the high chair crying as they shovel food into him - I've told them not to force it but think this may be where the problem is coming from.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 19-Feb-14 16:17:26

Would he prefer a booster seat?

At this age tbh if just feed him where he's happy. He will soon want to join you for meal times. Won't hurt of he sits on the floor gumming some pasta smile

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 19-Feb-14 16:18:23

Oh and nursery should not be shovelling food down his throat sad no wonder the poor guys so upset.

LadySnapcase Wed 19-Feb-14 16:20:44

Not really many ideas, but could you maybe let him spend some time in it not eating? Just give him some special toys to play with while he's in it to give it some positive associations? Also, will he fit in a bumbo with a tray? I feed DS in ours but he's only 6 months. Hopefully someone else will be along with some better ideas!

LadySnapcase Wed 19-Feb-14 16:21:20

Ah, x-posted! Would also be having some strong words with the nursery hmm

widdle Wed 19-Feb-14 16:50:29

Thanks for the suggestions - re the nursery - yes! I've told them to stop forcing the food into him - poor thing just cries and cries. I was quite shocked. Don't know how much they listen though. Apart from that it is a brilliant nursery - they just have old-fashioned ideas about finishing what is in the bowl sad

He would fit into a bumbo but is far too hyperactive to sit still so don't think that would work. I'm going to start more finger foods because the puree is such a mess and gets into the carpet!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 19-Feb-14 16:56:01

Apart from that it is a brilliant nursery - they just have old-fashioned ideas about finishing what is in the bowl

I'm sorry but forcing a baby to eat and starting on a road to real issues with food is undoes any good points!!

Dd2 was barely eating at this age, food is a taster there's no finishing bowls there's no actual meal half the time it's just joining in with the family and trying new foods while still living off milk.

I'd have my baby out of there in a shot if I found out that they had been force fed.sad

ExBrightonBell Wed 19-Feb-14 20:08:00

Sorry, but no matter what else they do well, this is not a good nursery.

Spoon feeding a baby that is crying its eyes out is just wrong wrong wrong. It's not just old-fashioned it is appalling. I would be reported it to OFSTED and removing my child. Not listening to you when you complain and continuing to go against your wishes is also really bad.

As PP have said, no one should be force feeding your child and insisting on an empty plate - it sets up all the wrong associations with food and could cause long term issues around food. It's already caused an unpleasant association with the high chair for your ds.

For feeding him at home, I think you should get something like a booster seat, or something that is not at all like a high chair to look at. Then hopefully he won't have the same association as he does currently.

SquarePolarBear Sat 22-Feb-14 14:46:31

Yep can totally sympathise, my ds hates it too, he has just turned 1 and we still have high chair battles. He just wants to move constantly while eating- I'm pretty sure it's involuntary!
So, I stick the tv on. Yep, works a charm most of the time. No it's not ideal, but he is so easily distracted that until I can command/bribe him to sit still it's the best tool I have.
My dd was not like this so pretty sure it's a personality thing!

SquarePolarBear Sat 22-Feb-14 14:48:30

Ooh yes also we did try a few different high chairs/ booster seats.. didn't seem to make any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now