Talk

Advanced search

When to reduce milk?

(4 Posts)
Jaz78 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:10:29

We have an 8 month old.

She has just started having 3 meals a day at 8am, 12pm and 5pm.

In terms of milk she is having 180mils at 7am, 2pm, 6pm and 9pm.

As she is now on 3 meals a day, how should we start to reduce her bottles?

In the lags few days we have dropped her 11am bottle. I guess the next step is to remove her 6pm bottle. She sleeps through the night normally very well, so don't want to do anything that will upset her nights sleep.

Any thoughts or feedback would be very much appreciated?

CornishYarg Sun 16-Feb-14 18:15:19

I just let DS cut back on his feeds when he was ready rather than try to second guess the right time. So if he refused or had very little of a feed for a few days, I stopped offering that feed. He went from 4 feeds to 3 at about 10 months and to 2 feeds just after a year.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 16-Feb-14 18:25:26

you dont need to actively drop them as the milk will reduce as food increases. I would personally look to get rid of the 9pm feed before any of the others (but maybe not just yet)

gretagrape Sun 16-Feb-14 19:05:21

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but not every baby will drop milk naturally - we've had to regulate the food intake and drop milk feeds ourselves because our son really doesn't seem to have a stop button.

We were on 4x180mls too when we moved to 3 meals, so I replaced the mid afternoon milk with a small snack, and he carried on sleeping until normal breakfast time so I have to assume he's not hungry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now