Talk

Advanced search

Inane topic- my potato purée went strange

(8 Posts)
juniper44 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:02:09

I boiled / steamed some potatoes in the microwave yesterday as part of dinner and added a few extra to purée and freeze.

When I took them out, they were sort of stringy and gooey. I then puréed them and added some water to make it easier. It was more mousse like than creamy, which was weird.

Have I wrecked the potatoes? This is my first attempt as DD is 4 months so not ready yet- I thought I'd be pro-active...

Littlefish Fri 14-Feb-14 20:03:29

Try sweet potato rather than ordinary potato. I don't think you can purée potato without it going gloopy.

GoofyIsACow Fri 14-Feb-14 20:04:04

If you overwork potato it goes gluey and weird, you can either eat it like that or bin it, dont think it can be rescued, ok for weaning smile

Rosa Fri 14-Feb-14 20:04:44

It breaks the starch either mash or puree with other veg like a soup kind of thing. Tastes foul as well.

SoMuchToBits Fri 14-Feb-14 20:05:49

With potato, it's probably better just to mash thoroughly rather than puree. Otherwise all the starch comes out.

PurplePidjin Fri 14-Feb-14 20:08:42

Potato was a bit gunky for my ds to start with tbh. Parsnip, pear and sweet potato were all fab to start off with though! (he;s now 15 months and eats like you wouldn't believe although I'm assuming that'll go tits up as soon as he gets to the controlling stage wink)

WooWooOwl Fri 14-Feb-14 20:09:11

Yep, potato goes wierd when you try and make it into young baby food. Wait until your dd is bigger and can do potatoes without them being puréed.

juniper44 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:12:09

Wow- quick responses! Thanks. I'll keep them anyway but won't feel too heartbroken if I end up binning them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now