Talk

Advanced search

weaning off the dummy

(6 Posts)
jane1995 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:43:45

im wanting to get my 8 mo off his dummy before his teeth come in, only problem is its impossible for him to go to sleep without them, he has two naps in the day, and if he doesnt have them he gets very cranky. Ive tried so many times just not giving the dummy but no matter how tired he isn

jane1995 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:45:42

no matter how tired he is, he wont sleep without them. he never has one when hes awake, he associates the dummy with sleep. any idias how to get him off them and still be able to nap? P.S do MAM orthodontic soothers affect teeth? dont want him to have bad teeth. posted before I was finished writing

KatoPotato Tue 11-Feb-14 11:54:15

Personally I would;'t worry! DS had his for sleeping only until he was about 2yo! It never affected his teeth or speech at all.

One night he just didn't ask for it, we slowly backed out the room and waited for him to cry for it... he slept all night long. The next night he did ask for it, and we just said 'But you didn't have it last night!' he agreed and that was that!

Prior to that night I fretted and googled and worried about how we'd get him off it!

drspouse Tue 11-Feb-14 11:57:36

Dummies don't affect teeth or speech (at least, no more than thumb sucking, and a lot babies who are prevented from using a dummy end up sucking their thumbs, and you can't take those away!).

We're taking away the dummy in the daytime for our DS, just turned 2, and he basically weaned himself off it, though we have done a little bit of "you don't need it in the daytime now, do you". Planning to do the same with night time but not yet, maybe in a year or so.

StuckOnARollercoaster Sun 16-Feb-14 09:15:40

Like you we only use the dummy for sleep and DD is 8 months. Is there something I'm missing - I thought they were only a problem if your baby is constantly sucking a dummy and that using them just for going to sleep is a good thing (Sids etc.)
Our plan is to eventually just gradually drop using it by not offering as I think when very tired she won't need it and only use when upset and overtired. As she gets older and more able to communicate we can either switch it for a soft toy to cuddle or employ the 'dummy fairy' now that she's a big girl...

rainbowfeet Sun 16-Feb-14 09:23:02

My ds is 2 tomorrow & I'm using that as a start date... Been saying for a while 'when you're 2, you're not allowed a dummy only for naps & night time' ... So far he's been shaking his head saying no but I'm sure he'll get used to it!!! wink

Fingers crossed!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now