Talk

Advanced search

Doesn't get full

(4 Posts)
sarahbb123 Sun 09-Feb-14 23:18:48

Hi my 8 month old loves her food ! She will eat whatever I'm eating. She's under a peadiatrian who is useless..
Basically she's very slow to put on weight (1kg in 5 month) but she eats so much. I had a theory that she doesn't get full and tested this out .. When we went out for a meal she ate a whole adult size portion and still had. The rest of her food the rest of the day ....
Has anyone got any ideas ? Or experienced this ? She hitting all other milestones well most ... She refuses to crawl but can walk holding on

geekaMaxima Mon 10-Feb-14 09:03:19

Was she referred to the paediatrician for slow weight gain? Why is the paed useless? Dud he/she order a batch of tests to rule out an underlying cause? 1kg in 5 months really is quite little gain at that age, especially if she's eating a lot.

Even at 8 months though, most of her calories should be coming from milk. Most solids - unless you're explicitly putting her on a high-calorie diet - is lower in calories than bm / formula, so every mouthful of solids displaces a mouthful of milk but leaves her with fewer calories overall. Is she still bf / ff lots?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 15:05:10

What geeka says.

gretagrape Mon 10-Feb-14 16:17:09

My son isn't having problems putting on weight but he is similar to yours in that he doesn't have an off button. I had to put it to the test because I kept being told that ALL babies turn away when they've had enough. After a meal about half the size of mine (with a full bottle one hour each side) I realised that's crap!
I regulate his portions myself now and as he doesn't cry before meals or wake any earlier I have to assume he's eating enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now