Talk

Advanced search

CMPI baby, pudding suggestions.

(18 Posts)
cupcake78 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:02:16

My dd is 7 months old CMPI. She's dairy free.

Loves her savoury food but I've yet to find anything pudding related she likes.

She hates apple, enjoyed banana but it kept making her sick. Fruit purée never goes down well.

Today I tried to make custard with oat milk but its split hmm.

I'm running out of ideas.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Feb-14 14:05:33

Is she ok with soya? Alpro do ready made cartons of custard.

Soya yogurt
Water melon
Soft pear
Pancakes made with koko/almond /whatever milk sub you use and blue berries.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 15:03:17

Crumble made with stork instead of butter?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 15:07:01

And have you tried the alpro custard?

GoatBongoAnonymous Fri 07-Feb-14 15:42:49

We use almond milk in cooking, it doesn't tend to split. Also use baby rice as a yoghurt alternative with fruit purées. Can she eat goat yoghurt? BabyGoat can tolerate this in small quantities.
Achristmas treat was this with non dairy butter:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/hot-coconut-raspberry-puds
We also make pancakes or pikelets on occasion, with fruit already incorporated.

dozily Fri 07-Feb-14 15:48:41

Crumble made with Pure spread or Vitalite (both dairy free).

Rice pudding made with soya milk (or, even nicer, coconut milk).

Alpro ready made custard is good or just make up your own custard using soya milk and Birds custard powder.

Any cake or sponge pudding can be made with dairy free spread.

Lots of things smile

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Feb-14 15:53:26

Recommend m&s dairy free spread for baking smile

cupcake78 Fri 07-Feb-14 17:07:16

I've tried pure sunflower and vitalite for baking and both ok. Have done pancakes but they just disintegrated.

Soya is out. She refused soya yogurt point blank along with soya milk. Don't know if she's allergic or doesn't like it.

Thought about crumble so going to give that a go.

Is almond milk the best for cooking with? It tastes awful hmm

dramajustfollowsme Fri 07-Feb-14 17:12:07

My dd doesn't like the lumpy yoghurts so doesn't like alpro ones but loves tesco's own soya mango yoghurts. We go through up to 4 a day!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Feb-14 17:12:59

I made pancakes with Koko and hazelnut milk. Both worked fine. Go fir the thicker American style though not the flat thin crepe style smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 17:54:28

I second the thicker pancakes, we have blueberry pancakes made with hazelnut milk at the weekends sometimes for breakfast.

If she's having trouble with soya, have you tried pea protein yoghurts. Unfortunately I don't know much about them, just heard my friend mention that she gives them to her Lo who is CMPA.

cupcake78 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:31:44

Only just discovered koko and oatly. I do make thinker pancakes but maybe need to try again this weekend.

No idea about pea protein yogurt it's the first I've heard of it.

Still got another 2 months to go before I see a dietician so having to do it on our own.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 19:29:46

Think the pea protein yoghurts are called wot no dairy. Your supermarket might sell them.

How about jelly and tinned fruit? I'm CMPI and that's always been one of my favourites.

An oatcake with smooth nut butter if you want some pudding that's not too sweet.

Aldi Apple Strudel is DF but not sure if its SF. The Lidl one maybe too.

And you could always melt some moo free chocolate on a digestive biscuit smile

You should be able to get most of these nearby, we don't even have a supermarket but a local shop sells most of them.

Oh and have a look at Mrs Crimbles Dutch Apple Cake too. We all love that one smile

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Feb-14 19:33:48

Look up "pig in the kitchen" online.

You can pick any combo of dairy/egg/gluten free stuff smile the warm spiced apple cake is lovely

AnitaBlake Fri 07-Feb-14 19:41:49

You can get wot no dairy 'yogurt' from holland & barratt. We tend to make our own cakes with stork marg (in the foil, not the tub!). Rice pudding works well with oat milk, also meringue, fruit and oatly 'cream' goes down well. Asda sells a chocolate brownie that is df (not labelled as df though).

You can get a chic spread by Antony worrall-Thompson that's df too (it's yummy even if it does have his pic on lol). Soreen banana loaf is very nice! Tesco jam doughnuts too.

Aldi tends to have lots of lush 'normal stuff' that's df, so worth reading labels!

geekaMaxima Fri 07-Feb-14 20:16:04

Creamed coconut - the solid block kind, not the runny can kind - is a fab base for lots of puddings. We use it with water to make rice pudding, with (bird's eye) custard powder to make coconutty custard. And it's yum melted into stewed apple etc. and left to set in the fridge.

It's also massively calorie dense - same as butter - which is good for the lil uns.

All assuming you like coconut, of course grin

DaveMccave Sun 09-Feb-14 00:45:48

Apart from keeping trying lots of fruits, stewed or uncooked if she doesn't like pureed, I wouldn't offer puddings at that age anyway. Unnecessary and so much exploration to do with fruit first which actually has nutritional value, unlike most other puddings. Pineapple rings, stewed apple and pear wedges, mango, blueberries, all melon varieties, peach slices, try frozen banana too.

In a few months I'd occasionally try fruit crumbles with vitalite or pure spread. Rice pudding with coconut milk, blueberry wholegrain muffins, banana bread, apricot bread, flapjack made from mashed banana, baked apples.

addictedtosugar Sun 09-Feb-14 16:12:20

Have another go with the custard - birds powder (in the big tub, not the sachets) were dairy free, and very successfully made with oalty here in the microwave.

Jelly - with fruit in, or melted as per microwave method, allowed to cool quite a bit, and then the second liquid addition made with oatly.

Rice pudding (with Oatly)

Can you see a theme?? We were also dropping centiles, so needed calories in....

We also did a self saucing pudding (choc and lemon) with vitalite and oatly - tho there is also a water one for the chocolate about.

We didn't bother with yoghurt - basically the only subititutes we made were butter for dairy free spread and milk for oatly. Everything else was unsubstituited, so avoided.

Read the packets carefully, but Bourbons are usually dairy free if you want access to a quick snack. As are several other bisucits - but you need to read EVERY pack, just because McVitties Rich teas aren't OK, doesn't mean Supermarket own brand won't be. Several years since I've done this, so please don;t take my brands as given.

DS1 now fine on dairy, but doesn't have much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now