Talk

Advanced search

feeding when out?

(22 Posts)
jane1995 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:51:21

is it possible to make meals for my 8mo and take them out in a container? he always has his meals at home and goes out around them, im not keen on feeding him the jars, so what food is suitable to take out and keep un-refrigerated for 2-3 hours?

drinkyourmilk Fri 07-Feb-14 13:54:04

Can you get a food thermos? That's what I do

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 07-Feb-14 13:56:18

ive got a little cool bag, i tend to just take cut up fruit or bits of cucumber or peppers out and give ds what ever im having. hes 7 months.

If you needed stuff heated up, some places dont like doing it, due to health and safety.

what kind of stuff does he eat in the house?

jane1995 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:01:51

well its for tomorrow so I dont have time to buy anything, but he usually has spag bol, shepherds pie, salmon and veg ect

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 15:02:17

Could he have a sandwich instead?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 07-Feb-14 15:06:34

if you are going out to eat, i would just take some veg in a tub and then get something he can share with you.

jane1995 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:51:01

hes not BLW so all of his meals are pureed

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 17:46:45

He doesn't have to be blw to enjoy a sandwich though does he? smile

jane1995 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:32:18

how else will he eat it? :p you cant puree a sandwich

intheround Fri 07-Feb-14 20:38:19

He'll be happy enough gummimg on a hunk of bread. Or cook some plain pasta for him to pick up and eat- he'll enjoy playing with it too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 20:39:00

Doesn't he have any finger foods at all Jane?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 07-Feb-14 20:44:25

I sometimes forget that im lucky with a baby who eats anything. (and im lazy) grin
I would probably have a baked potato or fish or something while out. thats not big chunks, and can be spoon fed.

If you are pureeing all his food, to totally smooth? then you might need to take just veg out or buy a jar, you could always take powdered porridge out thou and some water in a bottle.

jane1995 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:51:49

no ive tried with finger foods so many times and none has ever gone near his mouth (if it does its straight back out again) so I cant take any finger foods out tomorrow cause I cant be certain anything will be consumed :/

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 20:55:09

Think you might be best to consider the porridge and a flask and a jar or pouch then smile

If he has trouble with lumps and finger food, has he ever been checked for tongue tie? My DS had this and it took ages to get him off smooth purees and onto normal food.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 07-Feb-14 20:58:36

Where are you going?

Can you take a bib and a spoon and give him a bit of whatever you're having?

ExBrightonBell Fri 07-Feb-14 21:05:48

Hmm. If you need purees can you pop in somewhere and grab a pouch?

PurplePidjin Fri 07-Feb-14 21:19:02

Do you not own a cool bag and an ice pack?

Tuna mayo jacket potato should be manageable, or soup, if you want to share. Ellas Kitchen pouches are available in loads of places, but afaik none of the pouches contain the preservatives that jars do so are "better". One won't hurt, bit like shoving a pizza in the oven after a long week at work wink

PurplePidjin Fri 07-Feb-14 21:20:40

If no cool bag, put ice in a sandwich bag (the sealable type) and wrap that plus the food in a teatowel...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Feb-14 18:11:25

How did you get on jane?

jane1995 Sat 08-Feb-14 22:25:21

funnily enough, the whole time we were out he refused to eat a thing! and hardly drank any milk, but ill know to prepare and get a cool bag for next time, thanks ladies

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Feb-14 22:44:47

Was he just too busy? smile

The coolbag sounds like a good idea. Asda sell ice packs that fit into a lunch box which are useful.

Did you have a read of the tongue tie thread? Did any of it sound familiar?

drinkyourmilk Sat 08-Feb-14 23:25:26

That's just typical jane grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now