Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to get 7month old to drink...

(6 Posts)
FarToGo Tue 04-Feb-14 22:09:45

I've been weaning my little girl for a month now, she's 7 months old and previously EBF, we gave the odd bottle of expressed now and again.
She was taking very small sips of water from a sippy cup until a couple of weeks ago.
We left her for a few hours with my mother, to give her tea and a bottle of expressed milk before bed - she refused the milk/bottle. I put this down to maybe being full and the first time someone else had put her to bed.
She bottle refused again a couple of days later with my Husband, due a feed and between meals (we give breakfast and tea at the moment) and was desperate for a feed when she returned.
Since then she's refused any cup or bottle put in front of her! She's still on 4/5 breast feeds a day and lots of wet nappies but is becoming constipated and straining and has a really sore bottom hmm
She's even getting upset when I just set her sippy cup down in front of her so she can handle/play with it.
I'm at a loss,any ideas?

FarToGo Wed 05-Feb-14 08:31:23

Anyone?

gretagrape Wed 05-Feb-14 10:07:04

My son had a similar issue - for the first month of weaning he was fine drinking water from a cup, then he'd go mental and I had to use an open beaker, then he was fine again, and now aged 10 months he's started refusing it again and has a massive hissy fit if the cup comes anywhere near him!
I'm assuming it's a phase/developmental thing, eg, the ability to refuse something!
No real advice as we are in the refusal phase, but I make sure that with every meal he has a thick slice of melon, and also veggies with high water content like courgette, carrot to try and keep the water intake up. Avoid too much banana or fibre from wholemeal foods/lentils/beans etc, as that can clog things up further.

FarToGo Wed 05-Feb-14 10:14:29

Thank you! I've not tried an open cup yet, ill give her a couple of days then see how she takes to that.

dinkystinky Sat 15-Feb-14 21:40:23

Definitely try a doidy cup or baby cup. Ds3 at 6 and a half months refused the bottle (bf morning and night) but by trial and errorc with different cups we can sometimes get him to take milk during the day

spacegirl81 Sun 16-Feb-14 07:38:19

could also try a straw cup, both my boys used these from a similar age. try momma straw cup on amazon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now