Talk

Advanced search

24 week old wants to eat??

(12 Posts)
WorthMoreThanThat Tue 04-Feb-14 10:43:48

Ds2 is now crying (complete paddy haha) every mealtime we have wanting something to hold and eat....too early!? I'm scared to give him anything :-/

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 10:47:29

Nothing magic happens bang on 26 weeks - even the NHS guidelines are "around 6 months"!

JollyMarie79 Tue 04-Feb-14 10:53:21

Go for it! My dd was 23weeks and I was actually advised by the HV as she was showing an interest in food.

WorthMoreThanThat Tue 04-Feb-14 10:54:22

Sorry I didn't explain properly, was rushing! He's had porridge, it's all he'll take from a spoon tho, he wants to hold n feed himself...I guess I'm after a hundred "he won't choke he'll be fine" replies

WheresMyCow Tue 04-Feb-14 11:01:03

He won't choke, he'll be fine!! smile

But seriously, give him some pieces of pear or lightly cooked carrots that are firm enough for him to hold but mushy enough that he won't choke on them. Any veg that you are having, as long as the pieces aren't too big are also good for him to pick up and have a go at eating - also good for his fine motor skills.

Good luck op grin

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 04-Feb-14 11:04:13

I'm pretty certain both dds were smearing banana round their faces doing a bit of finger food around five months. Sounds like he's ready to have a go!

drbartlet Tue 04-Feb-14 11:07:42

he won't choke. he'll be fine.
i think i remember reading that -
1) babies are much more likely to choke on food that has been placed in their mouths by someone else than food they put in themselves
2) babies have a pretty strong gag reflex - they do often cough up bits of food when they're eating but it's just part of learning to eat

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 04-Feb-14 11:17:20

Oh forgot to mention...

He won't choke he'll be fine! x 99.

grin

sleepyhead Tue 04-Feb-14 11:22:25

He won't choke. He'll be fine.

Pascha Tue 04-Feb-14 11:26:41

He wont choke he'll be fine.

DS2 stole a breadstick from my plate and ate it all at about 22-23 weeks so we just carried on from there. DS1 nicked a green bean at around the same time. Neither of them choked.

Gerty1002 Tue 04-Feb-14 12:10:41

Does he sit well with (or without) support? We were advised to wean early at 17 weeks and paediatrician said we can try finger food (gluten free) as long as he sits well, as he is doing so well eating purees. He is only 21 weeks but near enough sitting unsupported now and sits well in high chair, so he's been gumming bits of carrot and cucumber. He doesn't swallow much and sometimes gags if a bit comes off in his mouth, but gagging is fine as that stops him choking!

He won't choke, go with your instinct. As a pp said, nothing magic happens at 26 weeks smile

WorthMoreThanThat Tue 04-Feb-14 16:08:59

Thanks all these really made me smile :-) currently steaming carrots and parsnip...hopefully means I can eat my tea without an angry baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now