Talk

Advanced search

'Suspending' solids - 6th month old with chest infection

(6 Posts)
dodi1978 Mon 03-Feb-14 19:06:07

My 6 month old has got a chest infection and is on antibiotics. We started weaning a couple of weeks ago (a bit before 6 months) and he had taken to it really well.

I didn't give him any solids tonight as it seemed more important to me to keep him hydrated. He seemed very keen on milk (he is FF), even though he sometimes coughs so hard that whole bottles came up.

Was I right to 'suspend' solids? It just didn't really seem important tonight. If he is a little bit better tomorrow, I will probably re-start.

crazykat Mon 03-Feb-14 19:22:30

There's no harm in stopping solids for a few days while he's ill. Equally there's no harm in offering a bit when he'd normally have some. If he's anything like my 1yo he won't really be interested in solids for a few days.

Keep up with fluids though. No food for a few days won't cause any problems but not enough fluids definitely will. If he's coughing himself sick it might be better to give less milk more often.

It's awful when they're ill when they're little, my 1yo was on the verge of being admitted to hospital with a chest infection a couple of weeks ago but luckily the antibiotics kicked in. He coughed himself sick several times a day for a week and hardly had any food for 10 days. I just kept trying milk and gave him calpol and ibuprofen regularly and his antibiotics. He lost a bit of weight but he's fine now.

Icedfinger Wed 05-Feb-14 06:28:53

We did exactly this, started then my dd developed bronchiolitis so we stopped again. She's 8 months and going great guns now!

dodi1978 Wed 05-Feb-14 10:25:49

That's good to hear! W have re-started now, but breakfast today was a mixture of giggling and meltdowns in minute intervals. Not sure this is due to the illness. On top of that, I think we're getting tooth No 3 popping out any minute, so that doesn't help!

Oh well, he'll be better soon!

jane1995 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:47:31

my 8mo had a sore throat for about a week so I judt gave him milk as he wouldnt eat much food cause of thr pain, I just gave really watery porridge and things

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Feb-14 21:33:29

Hope he's feeling better soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now