Talk

Advanced search

Baby not ready for BLW?

(8 Posts)
Cbell Sat 01-Feb-14 19:15:37

I've just started to offer my DS (6mo) finger foods and he just doesn't seem to like it.

He's interested in food (putting things in mouth anyway). Can sit up a d is hand-eye coordination is fine but he just gags, chokes or is sick when he takes food into his mouth.

I'm feeling increasingly hesitant to offer him anything as it's do unpleasant/ stressful.

He's BF and I'm not concerned about the quantities of food he's taking more about his reaction.

I'm thinking of offering him puréed food? I weaned my DD (3 years) BLW approach and had no problems. So not sure what to do. Any advice appreciated

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Sat 01-Feb-14 19:26:22

If you've done BLW before then you know it is about the baby making the choices. Does your DS seem upset at the gagging? Maybe leave it a week or two and try again, or even a month. Just because you canstart weaning at 6 mos doesn't mean you have to.

Cbell Sat 01-Feb-14 19:55:01

Yes, that's what I'm wondering. Whether to back off altogether and give it another try in a few weeks.

He is interested in food but he does seem distressed about the chocking. The gagging and vomiting are less worrying because at least the food he can't handle is travelling out of his mouth but the chocking is horrid and it's happened twice now.

I'm trying to find a balance between supporting his interest in eating but not letting it become an unpleasant experience (for us both).

Victoria2002 Sat 01-Feb-14 23:09:30

My instinct would also be to leave it then try later. You don't want him to become afraid of eating. Alternatively why not try a few purees and see if he seems to like eating that way? First foods can be hassle free (banana/avocado etc mashed) and you can always mix purée and finger foods in the future and go back to a more BLW style as he grows? You say he's interested in eating so that's why I might be tempted to try purée.

Helenc19 Sat 08-Feb-14 21:59:43

Did he have any problems with breastfeeding?
It may be that he has a slight tongue tie which is stopping him being able to move the food around his mouth.

mymiraclebubba Sat 15-Feb-14 10:20:31

i am just starting BLW with my 6mo, she has been showing an interest in food since about 4m and has gone through days where she will demand food and others where she point blank refuses anything other than her bottle.

If he is having such an adverse reaction then he may not be ready for solids? Puree is maybe an option to get him used to tastes other than milk, but have you tried using sweeter foods? I started by introducing things like the organix flavoured rice cakes etc

Notfastmainlyfurious Sat 15-Feb-14 10:28:04

When my dd began weaning there was a group of around 7 of us with babies the same age. 5 took to blw no bother the other 2 gagged and choked, they tried mush instead and that worked for them. Now at 2 they all eat well. Babies, like adults, have their own ideas and don't all want the same things. Try some other squashier options and see how that goes.

SJisontheway Sat 15-Feb-14 10:38:21

I would offer purees. If he likes it great. If not don't push it and try again later. You can still offer finger foods as in time. Some kids take longer to loose the gag reflex, but personally, I don't see this as a reason to skip the food experience altogether, although I would agree that at 6 months, there is no rush. Dd2 was closer to 8 months before she really got into eating, either mush or finger food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now