Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So unsure!

(3 Posts)
bail16 Tue 30-Jul-13 22:23:28

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. My daughter will be 5months on Saturday, she is formula fed and takes 25-30oz a day at the mo. she has slept through the night since about 9 weeks (fed at 7pm and waking at 7am for next feed).
The past 2 weeks however she has been waking at midnight and then again about 4 and not settling without milk and taking 5-6oz each time.
She is a very active baby who is constantly rolling, sits without support and has been speedily commando crawling loads the past week too.
My question is, is this waking in the night for milk a sign she is needing more than milk? Should I begin giving her a small amount of purée once a day? Or should I change her milk to hungry baby milk? Or should I assume this is just the 4 month sleep regression thing?
She constantly reaches for our food and drink (but then again she puts everything in her mouth!).

I don't want to rush to feed her if she doesn't need it, especially as I did want to do BLW at 6 months.

Any advice would be greatly received! Sorry to have babbled! Thanks!

sharond101 Tue 30-Jul-13 22:45:19

IME and many other mumsnetters weaning actually worsens sleep to begin with.

ExBrightonBell Wed 31-Jul-13 08:48:39

Waking in the night is not a sign that your baby needs or is ready for solids. Here's a link to the NHS guidance on when to start weaning.

The waking at night could be sleep regression or a growth spurt, and I would just give more milk if she seems hungry. Giving a few teaspoons of purée in the day won't help with sleep and could make it worse due to wind/constipation etc.

If you want to do BLW then wait until your dd can sit up well (with support), can put things in her mouth and shows some inclination to swallow. It won't be that far away if she is 5 months this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now