Talk

Advanced search

when to wean?

(8 Posts)
BabyStone Sun 09-Jun-13 23:37:56

My DS is 3months and ff.
A few of my friends have had babies around the same time and seem to be weaning already. (not sure if they were advised to by any healthcare professional).
I keep reading about weaning and not to start until baby is 6 months but then other people have said 16/17 weeks.
I am now confused about when to start with DS, obviously not now but time is going by so quickly it won't be long until I could potentially start to wean. So when should I start?
When did you start? And how? Bit confused with the whole babyrice, purees etc
Any advise would be great, thanks smile

rootypig Sun 09-Jun-13 23:46:26

The very clear current advice is not to start solids until 6 months. There is a good explanation why - and why some think differently - on the MN weaning pages

You have so long to go until then - I wouldn't worry now, just relax and enjoy your LO.

DeepPurple Sun 09-Jun-13 23:48:15

I weaned DD at 20 weeks as she was ready. Forget baby rice, it is vile!

The advice is contradictory as some health care professionals are now saying 6 months is too late.

Absolutely not before 4 months.

PinkPepper Sun 09-Jun-13 23:51:48

we waited till 6 months then did baby led weaning. Easy peasy smile The nhs advice is 6 months.

BabyStone Sun 09-Jun-13 23:54:45

Ok thanks, I've had a quick read over the MN weaning pages, will read up more nearer to the time.

Deeppurple, how did you know she was ready?

I am in no hurry to wean, was just a bit wtf when I saw on Facebook a couple of friends have started weaning their DC (one is 14wks, one is nearly 13wks)
I'll ask my own HV sometime
Thanks smile

DeepPurple Mon 10-Jun-13 00:06:46

DD was sitting independently, trying to grab food, showing a real interest in what I was eating and adored her first tiny taste of fruit purée. I just gave her a little bit on the end of a spoon and she loved it! Initially I just gave her a tiny taste of food each day. Sometimes porridge or fruit or even just puréed veg. She was probably 6 months by the time I replaced any milk feeds with food.

Some of my friends waited til 6 months and did baby led weaning. I really think it comes down to your baby.

KingRollo Mon 10-Jun-13 07:14:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jumperooo Mon 10-Jun-13 07:31:24

DD was sitting up unsupported at 5 months but I waited until 6 months to start weaning. She didn't really "get it" until 7 months to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now