Talk

Advanced search

tinned fruit - ok if rinsed?

(6 Posts)
Zara1984 Fri 24-May-13 11:46:28

Can I use tinned fruit that's been in syrup for 7 month old DS (eg to mash up and mix with yogurt etc for his breakfast)? I did it this morning with peaches, rinsed it off but then thought that maybe the syrup permeates the whole peach?! confused

PeterParkerSays Fri 24-May-13 11:47:34

I wouldn't because the syrup would soak in ot the fruit. Fine with fruit in water though.

Sorry!

HDEE Fri 24-May-13 11:47:46

Syrup won't kill him. I wouldn't even rinse it

doublecakeplease Fri 24-May-13 11:51:05

Can you buy it in juice instead of syrup?? I used to blanch, puree and freeze little portions of fresh apple and pear for that - cheap and just a 5 min job.

Or you can get bags of frozen fruit in freezer shops - just took out a handful, frosted and mashed.

Fruit us naturally sugary anyway. A bit of sugar won't kill them - despite what some people preach on here but i'd be more bothered about the syrup causing bad nappies - lol

Zara1984 Fri 24-May-13 12:06:18

We shop at Lidl and the tinned fruit only comes in syrup there... don't want to have to go to another supermarket just for tinned fruit grin They do bags of frozen fruit too eg berries, I should get some.

I often chop and quickly microwave pear, apple etc in the morning to make his breakfast but today I was too knackered and there was none left in the freezer

He's a sweet tooth monster, he'd love it if I left the syrup on....

Thurlow Sat 25-May-13 22:22:26

DD practically lives in tinned fruit in juice, tinned peaches and pears are one thing we are currently guaranteed she'll eat. If you're giving it regularly I probably would try to rinse as much syrup off as possible. Can you get to another supermarket occasionally? Basics/Value fruit often comes in tins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now