Talk

Advanced search

Which foods to start with blw?

(8 Posts)
abi2790 Thu 23-May-13 10:21:50

DS is 25 weeks and I've just started weaning with soft foods as he hasn't quite got the hang of the "pincer grasp". I didn't want to start until 26 weeks but a hcp advised that I try now. Basically what I would like to know is what are the first foods for blw? He's had banana but can't hold it in the right position to get it into his mouth without me helping him to hold it. He's also had mushed up with little chunks in it that I feed him with a spoon. He's had sweet potato mashed up. Can I give that in chunks that he feeds himself?

Tia. I'm just so confused and it seems all the hcp don't understand blw weaning in my area and everyone I know fed with purees which I really don't want to do.

BuntyCollocks Thu 23-May-13 11:30:18

Why have you been advised to start now?

You can do blw with pretty much anything. How about some buttered toast? Chunks of apple, carrot batons, spag Bol, yogurt. Honestly, it is a matter of shove what you're eating in front of them and let them pick/play with it.

Pascha Thu 23-May-13 11:37:33

Broccoli is good, roast veg is nice and soft inside but dry outside so easier to grip. Porridge is fun to throw, yoghurt is messy, spag bol turns everything orange, little scotch pancakes, crumpets, noodles, chicken breast... Bunty is right, anything goes.

Chip size and shape pieces are easier to handle. Most will come straight out again but its all good.

Pascha Thu 23-May-13 11:40:27

Have a look here for more info.

abi2790 Thu 23-May-13 12:55:57

Thanks everyone.

I don't really know why I've been advised to start now Bunty. Probably cos he seems extra hungry and waking at night more often but I didn't see that as readiness. He was happily trying to grab my food and put it in his mouth though and he's just started sitting unaided. I think he's enjoying tasting food so I have kept at it. He only has tiny bits.

CornishYarg Thu 23-May-13 18:07:42

Start with whatever you fancy! We went for steamed and roasted veg, strips of meat, pieces of cheese and toast fingers at the start. Btw, the pincer grip typically doesn't develop till 8-9 months so larger chunks work best for the first couple of months.

Also, I know banana is a popular early food but DS found it almost impossible to pick up at the start. He found it so frustrating that he wouldn't eat it till he was nearly a year. Now he would happily live on banana!

GrandPoohBah Thu 23-May-13 20:23:47

For banana I chop a piece off (skin on), then trim the skin down so that there's about an inch of banana sticking out with the skin at the bottom for grip. Makes life a lot easier!

We're just giving DD what we have, or if it's a bit tricky for her (lentils, for example), we chop up some fruit or cheese or something so she can eat with us. I have been giving her some purées too but she gets annoyed if I won't give her the spoon.

abi2790 Thu 23-May-13 20:30:56

Ahh I thought they developed the pincer grasp earlier than that.

I know what you mean about the banana. He tries to keep hold of it but it slips out of his hand.

I will try him with some steamed veg tomorrow then. He had a couple of Organix baked carrot sticks today and they worked really well unlike the mashed brocolli I tried to give him. Only managed to get about two spoonfuls in him. I think he prefers to feed himself even if he does struggle to keep a hold of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now