Talk

Advanced search

7 month ebf not weaning

(10 Posts)
Mahls Tue 21-May-13 08:30:15

DS3 is 7 1/2 months and started weaning with purees at 6 months. He completely refused purees (pursed lips, head turned away) so moved to blw but he essentially eats nothing. Pretty dextrous so can get food to his mouth but generally chooses not to-rejects toast, pitta, rusk types things. Gums on various fruit and veg occasionally-cucumber is pretty much the only thing he will put in his mouth consistently. If any food goes in he gags and vomits rather than just gagging. No evidence of food passing through his digestive system in his nappies except he is windier!

Talked to HV who said he ia fine and to just continue but I am becoming concerned as he ia tiny...slipped from 25 th to 9 th centile and is basically just existing on ebf!

DS1 had an exaggerated gag vomit reflex when small but did eat and had eaten alot more albeit purees at this age. DS2 ate everything in sight with no issue. So DS3 is a new experience for me.

Anyone had this/got any advice please?

eggsnbeans Wed 22-May-13 05:44:25

Yup, DD 8.5 months, still eats next to nothing, won't even put it in her mouth (the only things that don't go straight there of course!). HVs have said not to worry at all, food is for fun under 1... blah blah smile

Nothing you can do about it except keep offering and not making an issue out of it. Totally feel your frustration though wink

Littleturkish Wed 22-May-13 05:51:40

Apparently I refused to have anything but breast milk until I was one!

Try not to worry, easier said than done, you're doing all the right things.

DuckWaddle Wed 22-May-13 12:59:11

I'm going through the same thing confused my dd refuses all purees (except sweet ones) by turning her head and pursing her lips. I've spent so many hours making different ones. I'm trying BLW now but nothing is going in. when she does manage to get food near her mouth she screws her nose in disgust! So I'm pretty much ebf too! The hv have said the opposite to me I.e she has to eat etc etc! But I've no idea what to do! I feel your pain as it's so frustrating and worrying

AttentionToDetail Wed 22-May-13 13:21:31

Hi. My DD is nearly seven months and I am doing blw. She is not taking much at all but has at least started to put some food in her mouth and have a chew before spitting it out! She is also ebf and will not take a bottle or let us put a spoon in her mouth. She does however get all exciting about her sippy cup (i think because she sees her brother using one) and I might try her with some milk in that. My DS also did blw and didn't eat much until 8 months - now he eats anything!! Perhaps try and offer milk feeds more often to increase calories? I try and offer my DD milk as often as i can throughout the day - however she only takes short feeds (as far too busy being nosey) - then usually likes to catch up overnight - agh!

EvidenceBasedMum Wed 22-May-13 18:43:03

My baby was just the same - teeny-tiny, spoon refusing and mostly bottle refusing. Very dexterous, but spent the last 2 months flinging her finger food around the room (very keen on eating stones / leaves / pet hair etc though!?).

HV also said not to worry and she'd get there eventually.

HOWEVER....for the last few weeks she has been eating much better.. We are currently in France on holiday and she has been enjoying French bread, croissants, ratatouille, lamb, dauphinoise potatoes, goats cheese and some naughty creme brûlée! Suddenly seems to have 'got it' and indeed all she needed was time.

Hope that is a bit reassuring.

Good luck

Mahls Wed 22-May-13 20:09:47

Thank you for replies. So good to not be alone.....and good to hear similar start with positive outcomes!

He is also a bottle refuser and is also catching up on calories at night having previously slet angelically from 10 til 6 for months!! Aargh!

Mahls Wed 22-May-13 20:25:33

Slet=slept

NotSoNervous Fri 24-May-13 10:36:14

I'm not in the same situation but if your DC likes cucumber to suck on how about pieces of melon? You can cut it to a similar size, it's cold and has a similar texture. Have you tried putting your DCs hand in food like a pure and see'ing what he does? My DD constantly has her hand in her mouth and looks so intrigued when I put food on them. That's going to be really messy but maybe worth a try? Good luck

MoonHare Fri 24-May-13 21:56:01

My almost 7mo is not a bit interested in puree or any solids except will mouth a farley's rusk occasionally, if she can be bothered.

Came onto this board for a bit of reassurance, so I was glad to see this thread. I'm not especially concerned, she is DD3 and I'm certain she'll eat eventually, that said I will try your ideas NotSo she might go for puree on hands rather than spoons, which she regards with distain.

Mahls DD3 also prefers to stock up on her milk at night, she generally wakes 2 or 3 times and then feeds for about 30 - 45 mins each time. yawn.

I guess they all get there in the end though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now