Talk

Advanced search

7 months - how much fluid per day?

(8 Posts)
whosthis Mon 20-May-13 14:57:36

DS has started solid a month ago and I manage to give him two meals per day now. The milk intake is decreasing, but nowhere on the internet I can find how much fluid in total I should make sure he has.

It's clear to me that 600ml formula is necessary. But otherwise offer water. But how much? If before weaning on solid, he had 4 x 210 per day, shall I make sure he has all that amount of fluid for an entire day, say 600ml formula + 200 ml water?

whosthis Mon 20-May-13 15:53:15

up

whosthis Mon 20-May-13 19:03:24

Up...

Nancy54 Mon 20-May-13 19:16:48

I'm not sure but I don't think so re the water. You should just offer water with food and hell drink it if he wants. They'll be fluid in the food he's eating anyway. The 600ml is just a guide amount I think so you could always give more if you think he needs it.

Vividmemories Mon 20-May-13 19:54:26

I breastfeed so can't comment on the specifics of your situation, but we just offer a sippy cup of water at the table when she has solids, she plays with it and sips from it but we don't worry about how much she has as the milk feeds should satisfy thirst and hunger really. DD also 7mo.

CornishYarg Mon 20-May-13 19:57:40

Don't worry about the amount of water they drink. Make sure you offer it and they'll drink when they need it.

whosthis Mon 20-May-13 20:12:25

Thanks to everyone. DS hasn't been into water very much. Since his milk intake is cut back a lot, I was just worried if he's dehydrated. Good to know there isn't any minimum amount they shall have. Just at this stage, it's less clear when they need food. Not like newborn, straightforward; can't speak yet, no clue why he cries and then he's also distracted so easily...

Vividmemories Mon 20-May-13 23:45:26

I agree it's getting harder to work out what they want at this age! But remember food is just for fun for now, milk should be main source of calories/nutrition for a few months yet, so when it doubt, offer milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now