Talk

Advanced search

27 week old not interested at all

(9 Posts)

We started weaning at 25 weeks. She wasnt sitting up. Wouldnt open her mouth. Took a few bits. Thought she isnt ready so we left it.

Tried again a week later, that time she sat up more. Seemed into it, loved the fruit puree but got frustrated with chunks. The next day she screamed and screamed when offered food. Then she got a cold with a bad cough so we waited until she felt better.

Just tried with fruity porridge, made with her formula. Sat her in the bouncy seat incase it was the high chair that was putting her off, but she ate two spoonfuls making yuk faces then on the third spoonful gagged (!) and brought up all the porridge and some of her last bottle (from 2 hours ago).

We are calm. We arent stressing. But I am just wondering, where do we go from here? Try again tomorrow? Leave it another while?

DD1 gorbed her food from 4 months so I am clueless!

Bump.

CornishYarg Sun 19-May-13 23:02:25

Maybe she just isn't ready yet; she's only just turned 6 months. I would leave it a few days and try again. I would also try her with finger foods in case she prefers that approach.

I'm not entirely clear from your post how she's doing with sitting up. She doesn't need to be able to sit unaided to be ready to wean but she does need to be able to sit upright for a decent amount of time. Can she do this? If not then she simply isn't ready yet. Personally, I wouldn't feed her in a bouncy chair as they seem quite reclined to me; it's much safer for them to be sat upright when they eat and besides, that's how I prefer to eat! Maybe the laid-back position is contributing to her vomiting?

She has good neck and back control, she just cant get the balance to sit unaided. In the highchair she tends to lean to one side. But if shes in her bumbo chair or I am holding her she can hold herself up well.

We did try giving her finger foods but she doesnt seem to "get" the idea of food. She just wants to rub her gums on it like she does with her toys. It does seem like she just isnt ready. The whole concept just isnt making sense to her. But how long do we leave it?

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 19-May-13 23:30:44

I'd give her the finger food and let her rub her gums on it. Eventually she'll start chewing. As long as she's getting milk then its fine. I always think the first year is more of a practice run for learning how to eat really. The milk is the most important thing until a balanced diet is established. Although if you are bf consider some sort of supplement for iron.

CornishYarg Mon 20-May-13 08:42:40

I agree, just because she doesn't "get" finger foods straight away, it doesn't mean it isn't working and you need to stop. Let her play with them and when she's ready, she'll start eating. Takes the pressure off you to find the right time to start.

And yes, unless she drinks at least 500ml of formula per day, NHS advice is to give vitamin drops (though I don't think they contain iron but they do help with Vit D).

What finger foods are good that wont break off? I gave her some butternut squash but she was biting down and it was coming off in bits that she then gagged on.

She gets frustrated very quickly with the finger foods too. confused

Oh and she is ff. She drinks 5x 7oz bottles per day. She is demand fed so could have more but thats all she takes.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 20-May-13 08:49:36

If she's not interested then stop. Try again in a week smile some babies aren't ready at 6 months . She's having plenty of milk she will be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now