Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice bf to cows milk

(6 Posts)
rosewood7 Sun 19-May-13 13:40:37

Hi. I have bf only so was hoping to transition to cow's milk once dd is one. What is the best way to do this and how easy/hard has it been? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

nextphase Sun 19-May-13 15:15:52

we just tried offering a (doidy) cup with milk in with a snack one day, and it disappeared, so easy for us.
Lots of others struggle more tho. Will they take water from a cup?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 15:23:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rosewood7 Sun 19-May-13 21:03:43

Thanks for replying. Yes dd drinks water from a cup at each meal. And offered with snacks. At the moment dd is bf on demand but she is cutting back on day feeds but seems to want to eat lots through the night. Sometimes every couple hours. I offer milk before meals but she wont take and gets grumpy until food offered. I have tried less food too but that didn't work either. She seems to want to make up for it at night. I am not very good at saying no. Perhaps not allowing at night would encourage more during the day! I started off thinking I wouldn't bf past four months now I say a year but it may be longer. Depends on dd. Although the numerous teeth are starting to be a little sore as I think night time is also comfort another reason she prob likes feeding at night! have waffled on here sorry. Thanks for replys snd help.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-May-13 23:11:01

So if the teeth thing could be sorted and she fed less at night would you want to continue? Have you spoken to a BFC about the soreness? It could just be a lazy latch and easy to rectify. Have you got the helpline numbers?

If you want her to feed more in the day, try offering feeds after food now and try offering some feeds in a place fairly free from distractions, taking a bath together usually works smile

Have you read after the first year?

As for the sleep, the isis website is a good place to start. Have a read of 12 alternatives for the all night nurser and have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley or Sound Sleep?

You do know that stopping bfing doesn't automatically mean that the night wakings stop don't you? If you are thinking of stopping bfing or night weaning I'd try to think of how you will deal with the night wakings first smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-May-13 23:26:39

Sorry did you mean that the teeth were making her sore, so she feeds partly for comfort, or making you sore?

If its her try her with things like a teething gel in the day, dentinox is good. A frozen banana and a cool, clean wet flannel to chew on. If its night I'd go for ibruprofen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now