Talk

Advanced search

7 month old with diarrhea following a virus.

(3 Posts)
shouldibecrossaboutthis Sat 18-May-13 20:30:20

I'm not sure I've put this in the right place but I'm at a bit of a loss really.

My son suddenly has really bad diarrhea which is bright yellow and I don't know how to stop it.

Everything was going great, he's was eating well, drinking his milk and water well and seemed to be loving food. He's 91st %ile for height and weight so quite a big baby. He was breastfed for 6 months and then formula fed after that.

About 2 weeks ago he got a really high temp (41.6 degrees @ 1 point) at first I thought it was teething as he has 2 coming through, but when it went past 38 degrees and wouldn't come down (with neurofen and calpol) I thought it might be something more. He halved his milk intake (13oz) and only ate about a third of his usual solids.

Day 3 he got a rash all over him which I thought was viral and GP confirmed. Day 8 temp and rash were gone but he had very very loose poo.

From day 10-14 he has had bright yellow (like breastfed baby colour) diarrhea with 9+ dirty nappies every day and his morning nappy has always leaked all over him. And I mean everywhere. Full cot change of sheets and a bath etc. I change nappies for a living but have never seen anything like it. He is also being a little bit sick every day.

He is still not eating or drinking his usual amounts but is drinking a lot of water (4-5oz). Could the virus be causing this, or food, or the formula? The GP said come back in a fortnight if his nappies are still odd but he has already lost 4lb in the last 12 days. He's happy enough in himself but seems tired all the time.

Sorry so long, any help would be great.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 18-May-13 23:02:17

could be a temporary lactose intolerance following his virus. You could try a lactose free formula to see if it helps or just continue with your usual one as it should settle back down soon.

shouldibecrossaboutthis Sat 18-May-13 23:40:24

thanks Ilovepowerhopp I did wonder that. The only thing is (and I'm not sure this maters) his worse nappy is in the morning. His last milk feed is at 2.30pm ish. Would I expect to see really awful nappies within an hour or so of milk? Or is it just different for everyone? I'ce cut all the dairy out of his solids for a little while and once poos get back to normal I will reintroduce slowly again.

He's also on stage 1 aptimail, could swapping to stage 3 help as I know that causes constipation in some children so might help firm his up. Or would adding a new formula in right now just be too much do you think?

It's a minefield!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now