Talk

Advanced search

Little weight gain in 7mo old

(7 Posts)
shop1909 Sat 18-May-13 07:05:19

My DS is ebf and has been BLW since 6mo old. He's approaching 8 months and I took to him weighed and he'd only put 3oz in 6 weeks. My hv was not bothered said he's thriving and normal as more active (he can sit, roll, spin, crawl backwards and rock on his knees)and filling up on food not so calorific as milk. He was almost on 91st centile before so not (ahem) tiny ! Do I need to be worried? My smug anti BLW MIL is having a field day sad I'd been laid back till this point with the milk till 1 mantra

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-May-13 09:12:00

Does he look unhealthy? Is he having plenty of wet nappies? There is a big benefit in looking at the baby rather than the scales. Weight gain always slows once they start moving, its only natural. Before he was probably a little Buddha who just smiled.

I'd bf roughly an hour before offering solids, this is advised anyway until they are one. Try to offer both breasts at least once during each feed and if he is easily distracted try breast compressions and offering some feeds in a quiet place. Sharing the bath is always a good one.

If you are really worried about his weight gain try offering a bf roughly every 2 hours in the day.

shop1909 Sat 18-May-13 10:01:41

Thanks. I'm not worried as he's really happy and plenty of wet nappies. I just had a bit of a sleep-deprived-MIL-wearing-me-down wobble and wanted some reassurance smile He was on 50th centile born and had crept up and up so it wasn't really sustainable for him to keep putting on that amount of weight. I always offer milk about an hour before food but from day one he's never shown interest in 2nd breast, will try offering though thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-May-13 15:10:26

Can understand you having a wobble but you need to ignore, ignore and ignore some more.

I dount if his sleep is anything to do with feeding anyway. If sleep is a problem though have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley or Sound Sleep by Sarah Woodhouse?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-May-13 15:11:24

And if he's not interested in the second breast maybe offering feeds more often and breast compressions could be the way forward?

tiktok Sun 19-May-13 15:11:06

shop this isn't a feeding issue, or a weaning issue, or a weight issue.

All of these are fine - sounds like your ds is experiencing a totally physiological and normal pattern, and normal growth and development.

This is a confidence issue and a mother-in-law issue. She doesn't need to know his weights, does she, and if she actually asks, all you need say is 'HV is pleased - he's gaining absolutely normally for a baby of his age and size, and seems to be moving towards a more average size now.'

If she regularly makes remarks that affect your confidence, and which seem to be based on ignorance, then she has to STFU smile If you can't tell her politely and firmly, then your dh needs to step up.

I don't see any justifcation at all for bf more often or trying to deliberately increase his intake - all the suggestions JJJ makes are sensible and will do no harm, but I just don't see the point in doing anything smile

shop1909 Mon 20-May-13 09:07:29

Thanks tiktok your post made me smile smile That's exactly my normal attitude and with a nice weekend under my belt am feeling a lot more like myself smile Also when DH looked at red book the HV had converted wrong and he's put on nearer 5oz -great huh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now