Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for DCs to sometimes not be interested in food at all when you start weaning?

(3 Posts)
BotBotticelli Fri 17-May-13 14:03:28

Have been weaning my 5-and-a-half month old son for 10 days now.

Some days he seems to love his food (ie yesterday he demolished about 2 tablespoons of porridge at breakfast and around 2 ice cubes worth of apple and carrot puree at lunchtime), whereas today, he doesn't seem to want to eat anything at all!

I tried him on mushed up banana at lunchtime today, and he just turned his nose up! So abandoned that and tried some carrot and potato puree that i had in the fridge and he didnt want that either so gave up. Later in the afternoon I put him in his high chair with a few sticks of banana on the tray and left him to play in case he wanted to feed himself but he didnt seem interested.

Is this kind of variation normal?

Also, in case it's relevant, since starting weaning last week, DS has been very insistent that it should be him doing the feeding, so I have been loading a little spoon with puree and giving it to him, and he has seemed very happy to feed himself as well as smearing it all over his face/the furniture etc etc

5madthings Fri 17-May-13 14:11:10

Totally normal smile

Food at this age is did fun and to introduce new tastes and textures, just offer and let him do what he wants, keep up his milk, he will get there eventually.

My ds2 wasn't interested at all until 9mths and my dd not til over 7mths, they now both eat fine.

Plus his appetite will vary from day to day, he may be tired, teething or just not interested at some meal times. Keep it relaxed and he will get there smile

sparklekitty Fri 17-May-13 20:23:54

My nearly 8mo ate like a horse yesterday.

Today she's had half a little bowl of porridge, a little bit of muffin and fruit pot and a few bites of cucumber.

It's a bit down heartening sometimes but I try to remember some days we're more hungry than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now