Talk

Advanced search

Should I wait?

(6 Posts)
abi2790 Thu 16-May-13 10:06:00

Ds is 23 weeks and really interested in food. I really want to do blw but I know I can't do that until 26 weeks plus he's not sitting unaided yet. He usually sleeps through (8-4) but has started waking hourly which I'm not sure is readiness for solids or a growth spurt.

Basically I just need advice on what's best for my son. Do I try weaning with purees or wait 3ish weeks?

RichInBunlyGoodness Thu 16-May-13 10:16:09

Personally I would wait. Pureed fruit and veg will be less calorific than milk so unlikely to help with sleep. Quite possibly a growth spurt which will pass. You could offer more milk if you're concerned he's hungry.

IMO BLW is easier (and v fun!) so if that's what you'd like to do go with that. Interest in food is a positive sign but doesn't necessarily mean he needs solids right now.

abi2790 Thu 16-May-13 12:27:35

Thanks Rich. I'm already breast feeding on demand and he's taking a lot more milk in the day too. I will definitely wait I just started to worry that he's not getting enough milk as he stole a piece of my toast this morning and it went straight in his mouth. I guess that could be just him copying what his mum and dad do?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 16:49:24

If you think he is hungry the best thing you can offer is your milk, there is very little you can offer him that will be as calorific smile

The signs of readiness are here, waking more and feeding more aren't signs of readiness sorry. It could be a growth spurt or a developmental leap.

Unfortunately giving solids probably won't help with the sleep either, have a look here.

I'd try to maximise your daytime feeding as much as you can, offer both sides at least once during each feed, offer it at least every 2 hours and try breast compressions and doing some feeds in a quiet place, the bath is always good smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 16:50:42

Oh and have a read of the Mn weaning info, its very good smile

CornishYarg Fri 17-May-13 09:25:37

I agree with the others re waiting in the circumstances you've described. But for future reference, he doesn't need to be able to sit completely unaided to start blw. Being able to sit upright with support if necessary from a highchair or similar is the requirement stated by the NHS and in the BLW book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now