Talk

Advanced search

introducing protein

(12 Posts)
mummytopoppy1 Wed 15-May-13 12:27:58

My DD has started the weaning process well, and is happy to eat fruit and vegetable purees, lumpy fruit purees, some finger foods (such as marmite on toast, philli on toast, avocado). I think she is now ready to have some protein in her diet, as she's not a big milk drinker anyway, and she is dropping bottles. Every time I've tried to give her food with any sort of fish / chicken / mince in it she has got very upset and won't eat it, not pureed or slightly lumpy. I've made my own food, I've tried the Ella's pouches, I've pureed our leftovers. Anybody got an idea of how I can get her to start to vary her diet?

ExBrightonBell Wed 15-May-13 12:41:48

How about giving her some finger food and see if she prefers that?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 17:52:50

Have you tried her with a strip of omelette or meat? How about things like cheese on toast, eggy bread, cheese and broccoli muffins, cheese straws or hummus and rice cakes?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 17:53:39

Oh and could you tell us how old she is and what you do when she refuses food?

zoobaby Thu 16-May-13 23:10:57

I know GF sometimes gets a hard time on MN but I used her weaning book. She argues that meat cooked on its own is too strong in flavour for some babies. She suggests cooking it with vegies and stock to make a casserole so it kind of mellows the flavour. DS hasn't complained about any of her recipes.

GrandPoohBah Fri 17-May-13 14:35:22

I just chucked a load of pieces of roast chicken and strips of omelette on DD's plate, which she picked up and started gumming on. Seemed to work!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 17-May-13 17:14:08

Would love to see the evidence for that one zoo smile

Eskino Fri 17-May-13 17:24:03

Dr Natasha Campbell McBride (Gut and psychology syndrome) suggests starting off on a homemade meat stock then adding pro-biotic foods week by week.

You can give a weaning baby protein at any time, meat stock is ideal.

Vividmemories Sun 19-May-13 11:55:35

Zoo - babies love strong flavours, it's a shame to advise people otherwise.

flanbase Sun 19-May-13 11:56:51

just keep on giving it to her and she'll get used to it

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-May-13 17:37:29

Agree, mine have always liked the strongest of flavours. Can remember DS rejecting baby bell cheese but happily scoffing slices of Parmesan smile

Florin Sun 19-May-13 17:42:28

My 10 month old loves strong flavours. He won't even taste Philadelphia but loves brie and stilton. Have you tried some boneless cod or haddock that is my sons favourite or you could make some fish or meat pâté to have on toast he also adores that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now