Talk

Advanced search

Is there something wrong with my son?

(9 Posts)
moodywren Sun 21-May-06 21:10:16

My 9 month old son is still only having one small meal a day, about the size of a baby yoghurt. If I try to increase it he just throws the whole lot up. My health visitor told me to get him checked out by the GP but I was hoping he'd grow out of it as my GP always give me the impression he thinks I am paranoid.
My son also only does a poo once a week, is this normal?

mumfor1standfinaltime Sun 21-May-06 21:31:58

I would go back to gp. You obviously feel there is something wrong, and arent happy. Pooing once a week doesnt sound good to me. Make sure he is drinking plenty of water/fluid too, maybe he is constipated.

kiskidee Sun 21-May-06 21:37:04

is he breast or bottlefed. i ask as breastfed baby poo a lot less than bottlefed ones if they are not eating much solids.

suzi2 Mon 22-May-06 20:38:44

I would say that he's breastfed and not eating much solids then infrequent poos would be OK. I have no idea about the not eating much though - but I have heard of many babies that just take a fair while longer to get into solids than others.

Are you milk feeding before solids? If so, perhaps he's being sick because he's full?

Definately go to your GP though and discuss your concerns.

mumfor1standfinaltime Wed 24-May-06 11:01:17

Do babies really only poo once a week when breast fed?

JackieNo Wed 24-May-06 11:03:00

I think some do (poo only once a week) and some don't - but it's within the 'normal' range for breastfed babies, IYSWIM.

mumfor1standfinaltime Wed 24-May-06 11:51:30

You learn something new every day!

lorna3586 Wed 24-May-06 16:13:00

Have you tried giving him carrot sticks cheese chunks or breadsticks to feed himself with? My ds wasnt having much solids he would just refuse to eat when i tried to spoon feed him so i started just giving him finger foods and hope for the best. Its worked really well. I think it helped that he could feed himself he trusted it better, and now that hes used to that he alows me to feed him things like scrambled egg and pasta and so on. He also loves yogurts. What colour are his poos when he does them? If you bottle feed it could be that hes getting constipated and needs dome water too. Is he gaining weight normally and does he seem happy and energetic? If he does there proberbly isnt too much to worry about hes obviously getting enough.

rosebea Wed 24-May-06 16:19:31

my 7 month old is a nibbler too, I try to tempt her three times a day but she only has a tiny bit too, although she does have three big breast feeds through the day so she poos daily. I wouldn't worry too much but get him checked out to reassure youself

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: