Talk

Advanced search

11mo who was a food lover now food refuser

(7 Posts)
sharond101 Tue 14-May-13 21:36:18

My 11mo DS loved food when we started weaning and ate so much more than he does now. He has never liked some of the commonest baby things like bananas, yoghurt, eggs or cheese but would eat 1-2 weetabix, a bowl of soup and bread or steak pie for dinner without any fuss. After getting his first cold around 8 weeks ago (which lingered and has come back again) he has become incredibly difficult to feed and only really picks at things when I offer him meals. He is eating only a fraction of what he did before and every meal time is a battle. Is it common for babies to not want to eat even if they did before or could it be a medical thing to do with his cold? His cold did seem to go away for a bit though that made no difference. He has been waking really early in the morning too and last week for one day only woke later and on that day ate loads compared to other days.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 18:01:11

First thing I'd do is to take him to the GP and get his ears and throat checked. They are probably fine but its really worth getting them checked.

Then start a food diary. Try to look on what he has eaten over a week rather than focusing on a single meal. Also try not to tempt him to eat or even comment on what he is (or isn't) eating. Just eat your food and try to benignly ignore him eating. It could just be that he has found that if he refuses to eat it gets you in a lovely tizz and enjoys watching you pull your hair out. Ignore, ignore and ignore some more and he'll start eating again, I promise.

Just one more thing, which milk is he on and how much?

sharond101 Wed 15-May-13 20:26:41

He has been at the GP three times since the beginning of his colds though they did not check his ears or throat. He was on formula until last week when I switched him onto cows milk (gradually) as we are on holiday this week so it was for convenience. I am giving him vitamin drops too. He takes 100ml am, 180ml afternoon and 240ml bedtime. I give him food first now to try and make him eat more. He is 1 yrs old next week.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 20:39:55

Perhaps get him to the GP and get them checked when you get back home then smile

One he's 12 months you can cut his milk down to 300ml a day and dump the bottles. The 300ml includes any milk used in food. You can also offer food before milk. That might increase his appetite smile

sharond101 Thu 16-May-13 13:40:55

I offer food before milk. Do I just go cold turkey with the milk. He loves his milk and I haven't seen any evidence of him eating more hen he has had less milk. He seems too busy to eat, just wants to play. My Mum gave him dinner last night and he ate the lot because he was playing as he ate.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 15:57:30

I'd drop the am one first, if its before breakfast, just offer breakfast instead, if its mid morning offer a snack and a little milk in a sippy cup.

sharond101 Thu 16-May-13 22:27:31

he normally has it just after his weetabix and always looks for it but has reduced the volume over the past couple of months so I will see how he goes without it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: