Talk

Advanced search

Weaning Breastfeed Baby To Formula

(4 Posts)
January2013 Tue 14-May-13 19:35:26

Hi all,

I have exclusively breastfeed my baby for 4 months but now need to start the process of weaning my baby onto formula for a number of reasons. I started this on Friday, formula feeding during the day & breast at night. My question is, how much formula should my baby be drinking? He is having approximately 4 bottles over the space of 8 hours and is on average only drinking 3 ounces at a time. I'm struggling to get him to drink more, is this normal behaviour at the begging of the weaning process? He feeds before bed from the breast & a few times through the night.

Also, he suffers with wind terribly, we think he may be lactose intolerant, I am using the Dr Brown bottles & putting gripe water in the bottle but he still seems to have a lot of wind. Is there anything else I can do to prevent the wind?

Thanks for any advise in advance smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 18:20:27

jan its probably best to ask MNHQ to move this thread to the breast & bottle section. Weaning can mean weaning from the breast but this section is more about the other definition, introducing complimentary foods.

I can't answer your questions on the formula and stopping bfing, have you spoken to a BFC? She should be able to help you with this. If you haven't got the numbers just google National Breastfeeding Helpline.

If dd is windy, is this something that has been continuous or is it new? Has she ever been checked for tongue tie.

If you do think she is lactose intolerant its important to get a diagnosis, then you should be able to get some formula on prescription. A diagnosis will also help when you start introducing solids smile

January2013 Wed 15-May-13 19:34:25

Thank you for your reply. He has been diagnosed and we have an appointment with a dietician in June. My problem with the diagnoisis is that I've since discovered that he could have been getting too much lactose in my milk rather than actually be intolerant. I am using SMA lactose free formula anyway.

I'll get this post moved.

Thanks again smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 20:36:26

Again the lactose in your milk might be worth discussing with a BFC smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: