Talk

Advanced search

Too much?

(11 Posts)
KatieLily12 Fri 10-May-13 19:41:43

Hoping someone can reassure me on this.

We planned to do BLW and as my daughter has severe reflux, take it slow. At 5 1/2 months she started grabbing food left, right and centre so I gave her a few tasters and she loved it. Popped her in the high chair to get her used to it and she loved that too and started 'requesting'. She seemed ready so we've been giving her 3 opportunities a day with finger foods, all mostly fruit or veg.

The thing is, she eats loads?!? I wasn't worried as she's clearly enjoying herself and she's setting the pace. However, she now keeps getting constipated and I am worried its all a bit too much too soon? She also drinks tons of water and is still breast feeding just as much.

What so you think? Should I limit her?

Shybairns Fri 10-May-13 19:44:15

Its hard to imagine that a child eating fruit and veg and breast milk could get constipated?!!

Do you mean she's not pooing every day? Are poos hard and dry?

KatieLily12 Fri 10-May-13 19:45:32

She's straining and crying and they are super sticky. She's storing them too.

I've tried massage and yoga etc which has helped a little. The erm, quantity is super low too?

mummybare Fri 10-May-13 20:01:00

My DD was the same - loved eating straight away. We did BLW too, but for the first couple of weeks I did give her things like pear/kiwi/plums, that are a bit easier on the digestion, instead of what we were having, just until her body got used to it. If it continues for too much longer then see your gp/hv, obviously, but my guess would be that it's probably just her tummy getting used to this alien substance!

KatieLily12 Fri 10-May-13 20:10:15

Ok thanks! Just worried I should be slowing her down a little. She's a savage!

Shybairns Fri 10-May-13 20:48:32

Maybe she is having too much then. Or maybe its just her guts getting used to the new foods.
Cut back a little and see if it makes a difference.

MoreSnowPlease Fri 10-May-13 20:51:59

Are you giving her banana? We found the same thing happened with DS, same circumstances. Cut out banana and gave him some diluted prune juice and it sorted itselfout.

KatieLily12 Fri 10-May-13 20:55:14

Have notice the banana effect! Gave some prunes today and awaiting results....!!

HaveTeaWillSurvive Fri 10-May-13 20:58:03

DS is the same and still is at 9mths, little horrified at what he packs away especially as my arse is on the large side but he loves it.

We give him blitzed prunes every day with his porridge which helps otherwise he still gets a bit bunged up.

KatieLily12 Sat 11-May-13 10:56:40

I soaked and blitzed some prunes yesterday as well as dried apricots and apple. I also saved the water to use in things too

minipie Mon 13-May-13 17:22:09

I have had the same thing with dd but a couple of weeks on she seems to be pooing more easily though some are still quite solid. I try to mix or alternate constipating foods (banana, apple, carrot) with foods that help things along (dried apricot, prunes, pear)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: