Talk

Advanced search

BLW and nursery

(6 Posts)
Wildwaterfalls Fri 10-May-13 18:04:10

DD is starting nursery at 1 yo. She is currently 8 months and very happy with BLW.

Does anyone know whether nurseries are typically happy to do BLW? I don't want to be too PFB about it and do understand they have more children to feed, but I was wondering if I could ask for her to have finger foods rather than purees. And do you think that is the best way to phrase it (finger foods) - I sometimes feel the term BLW annoys people a bit.

smile Many thanks

cheesenpickle Fri 10-May-13 18:24:46

Hi i did blw and my ds started nursey at 10mths.They had only ever had 1 other child that had been blw so we a bit bemused but they just gave him the same meals as the older kids and he ate it with his hands.I stayed over lunch at his settling in sessions just so they were reassured. When he had runny food they would put it on a spoon and he would feed himself. As he could feed himself with a loaded spoon before he started they were able to teach him quite quickly how to load it himself (he was there 4 days a week). They might well have had experience of blw before if not given hes a year he wouldnt be on purees anyway if you had weaned that way. I just told nursery he ate what we did but with his hands!

PotteringAlong Fri 10-May-13 18:32:02

My nursery did BLW just fine - they said they were chuffed when they had BLW babies as it made their life easier!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 10-May-13 18:46:14

i think self-feeding is a good way of explaining it, or rather 'she feeds herself'.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 10-May-13 18:47:23

some advice here from a fellow mner

Wildwaterfalls Fri 10-May-13 19:03:10

Oh good this is all very reassuring. Thank you for that link as well.

I did do a bit of mn digging before posting this and came across one thread where the OP was branded very unreasonable for expecting BLW at nursery - glad this is not always the case.

Going to meet the staff in a few weeks from now (we're doing a very long settling in period!) so will have a go at explaining it as suggested in that link. They may know all about it already anyway..

Many thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now