Talk

Advanced search

Reducing milk feeds when weaning...

(5 Posts)
wibblyjelly Fri 10-May-13 15:36:54

I've been advised by a weaning group that by the time ds is 1 year old he should only be on 2 bottles a day (he is currently 7 month s). At this point he should be in 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. He is currently on 3 meals now smile
At what point do I start reducing the milk feeds?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 10-May-13 15:48:27

He should start dropping them by himself. Just keep offering solids roughly an hour after the milk and don't worry too much about it until later. If you are ffing 20floz a day of first stage milk is the minimum anyway. Its fine to start dropping milk once they have reached 12 months.

If you have a look at the Mn weaning info there is a great bit on milk, explains better than me anyway smile

BibbityBotBot Fri 10-May-13 20:07:46

I'm wondering about this too. We've had what feels like a slow start to weaning my 7mo twins as they've shown little interest. I'm wondering if this is in part due to the fact they have 4x9 oz per day? Dtd is starting to leave some of her bottles but it's not exact but dts drains every bottle and often cries for more confused.

wibblyjelly Fri 10-May-13 20:38:47

Its such a guessing game, isn't it? DS was on 4x 7oz bottles, but is only having 1-2 oz at the 11:00. Will see if it continues, and if it carries on, maybe drop that one.
bib Do you give them solids before or after milk? I try and give ds his milk an hour before his meals. Not sure if that may help?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 10-May-13 20:42:14

I usually give food first, and offer milk afterwards and at other times.

If baby seems hungry/thirsty at other times I offer water initially.

I woukdn't worry about it though I woukd ditch the bottles and give fluids in cups from 6 months tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now