Talk

Advanced search

My 12 month old won't eat finger foods!

(9 Posts)
Busybeebaby Fri 26-Apr-13 14:48:36

Hi

My DS is 12 months old now but I still cannot get him to eat finger foods. Whenever I put food in front of him he will without fail, pick it up, look at it, maybe lick or bite at it, but then will instantly drop it on the floor. He eats very well when being spoon fed but I just don't know how to encourage him to be a bit more independent with his food. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers in the right direction?

TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 26-Apr-13 16:58:28

What happens if you give him things like a sandwich for lunch? If he drops it do you ignore or give him something else?

Busybeebaby Fri 26-Apr-13 17:05:30

Hi jilted, as with everything else sandwiches end up on the floor. I do tend to end up giving him something that can be spoon fed to him. Maybe that's the problem?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 26-Apr-13 17:19:11

Think you've answered your own question there busy smile

JollyPurpleGiant Fri 26-Apr-13 17:20:26

Have you tried giving him the spoon? What does he do with it?

Fairylea Fri 26-Apr-13 17:21:24

Could you compromise? Tear off little bits of food and hand them to him to put straight in his mouth? That's what I had to do with ds as he had no concept of bite size everything was shoved in so I had to make everything tiny for him..might work in your problem too?

Busybeebaby Sat 27-Apr-13 18:54:41

Thank you for your replies. Jolly the spoon ends up on the floor as well and Fairy I may try your suggestion but I fear that even giving him small bite size pieces will end up with it being thrown on the floor! The problem I think is that he sees everything as a toy and doesn't yet understand that food is meant for eating or maybe i'm expecting to much of him?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 28-Apr-13 14:02:23

Or maybe he's playing you and knows that if he throws it on the floor mummy will just feed him and he doesn't have to bother feeding himself grin

janey223 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:34:44

Have you tried giving him food on a fork? Or a fork with his plate of food? Might make it more interesting !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now