Talk

Advanced search

tips on helping them spoon feeding there selfs please ( :

(7 Posts)
Maxys2012Mummy Thu 25-Apr-13 21:59:32

hi mummys,i have a 11 month old and we seen to have mastered finger food .So now moving on to getting him to spoon fed him self.what the best way of doing this.and what food is the best for this all tips welcome many thanks x ( :

Rockchick1984 Fri 26-Apr-13 10:51:46

Best way we found was just accepting there would be a lot of mess! We helped DS at first by loading the spoon up and handing it to him, just a few times to give him the idea. Porridge was the easiest for him while learning - it will still stick slightly to the spoon so if he turned it upside down and dropped most of it, he would still get a little bit of it. We then moved onto cereal, then onto more solid items with a plastic fork.

mrscog Sun 28-Apr-13 21:25:40

My DS is 14 months and just has no interest in spoon feeding himself even though he's pretty good with finger foods. I figure it will come with time, and I think nursery persevere a bit more than I do!

CreatureRetorts Sun 28-Apr-13 21:26:52

It's actually quite hard for them as their wrist bones aren't developed properly until 18 months. So they can't twist properly but will have a go. So let them experiment but accept that you might need to help a bit.

JollyPurpleGiant Sun 28-Apr-13 21:29:25

DS could eat quite well with a spoon at about 14 months. He just suddenly got it. We gave him a spoon at every meal and ate with him so he could copy us.

StitchAteMySleep Sun 28-Apr-13 21:30:22

The most successful technique so far for dd2 (14 months) has been spoon loading yoghurt. We have now progressed to me holding the pot at an angle to make it easier for her while she dips the spoon in.

MumOfTheMoos Sun 28-Apr-13 21:36:41

My DS first picked up the spoon to scoop up some food himself wn he was about 9 mths. I had always passed him a pre filled spoon since he started weaning at 6 months.

Basically you just have to hand him a spoon, let him see you eating with it and let him get on with it. It'll be messy, and it may take a while but it'll be glorious to watch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now