Talk

Advanced search

Finger weaning (?), and cream cheese....

(6 Posts)
ClodiaF Thu 25-Apr-13 11:50:50

My 6 month old DS has decided he will only eat off my fingers. I've tried different spoons but he hates them all, and only smears all round the chair, table, himself plays with the finger-food I give him to try himself. I do wash my hands beforehand but I'm sure this still isn't very hygienic. Plus he has teeth. Anyone else had this? Will he grow out of it?!

Also, one day, when he was being particularly difficult, I did give him some of the full-fat cream cheese I was spreading on my own sandwich (again with the finger, sigh). This went down very well, but should he really be having this at his age? Isn't it too salty? Advice welcome!

forevergreek Thu 25-Apr-13 11:52:50

You could make avocado dip/ houmous/ cream cheese etc and dip fingers of pitta bread into for him to hold and suck off the dips

Flisspaps Thu 25-Apr-13 11:56:18

Anything other than honey, whole nuts and whole grapes are fine.

Have you looked into baby led weaning? That may be more your DS's kind of thing! I wouldn't worry as long as your hands are clean, crawling babies will put anything they find on the floor in their mouths grin

Info here smile

cheerypip Thu 25-Apr-13 20:50:36

try mascapone cheese - it's salt free and my little one loves it!

CitrusyOne Fri 26-Apr-13 21:38:38

We just started with solids - dd was happily feeding herself a la blw but wouldn't take a spoon. Hv advised to let her feed herself for a little while then offer spoon. You could try similar - today she gummed on clementine and cucumber and then let me feed her almost a whole yoghurt. Her favourite so far has been dairylea with breadsticks - she's worked out how to 'dunk' her stick in the cheese ;)

NoWayPedro Sun 28-Apr-13 20:16:35

Bread sticks/pitta or low salt bread with dips are some of my DDs favourite foods - some Philly, humous, tzatziki on the end of it and she loves licking away. At the moment we're lucky she'll eat finger food, spoon and off my fingers so just keep going and he'll get the gist smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now