Talk

Advanced search

I dont know how to wean! HELP!

(13 Posts)
Bubbless Tue 23-Apr-13 08:14:08

my daughters 4 months old and is very interested in food and is drinking me out of house and home with her milk (up to 7 bottles a day!)
I want to start weaning but not sure HOW / where to start!

I want to make my own baby food, personal choice, but im going to start with some baby rice-y things.
But I just dont know how to start!

Should I give her some of her bottle first so she's not screaming starving hungry and then introuduce some food? Was thinking about lunch time as the mornings are always busy and shes always SO hungry?

also, Ive always cooked all of my families food from scratch so that isnt an issue but Im going to have to adapt to 'no nasties' so if anyone has any adapted family recipes that I can cook for all of us and just add salt for the adults then that would be fab!!

ANY advice will be greatly recieved!!!! grin

TallGiraffe Tue 23-Apr-13 08:19:21

Current thinking is to wait until 6 months when their digestive systems can cope with food. Drinking more milk is fine, if she's hungry then there are more calories in milk than food. If you wait until 6 months then you can also do baby led weaning, if you already make your own food the. You won't have to do anything different, she can just eat what you're having. The book by Gill Rapley is great at explaining everything.

Picklepepperpiper Tue 23-Apr-13 08:30:32

I found the Annabel Karmel book great for puree weaning, but agree with TallGiraffe that you are supposed to wait until 6 months to allow their gut to mature for food.

Flisspaps Tue 23-Apr-13 08:32:30

I'd wait a bit longer TBH. My kids are very interested in my DH's car keys but I won't let them drive the car. DD watches my wine glass like a hawk, she's not having it!

This is the NHS weaning guide. It talks about traditional weaning mostly.

This is is about BLW, where you just give what you're having, no pureeing, no mashing.

Lots of info there smile

PourquoiPas Tue 23-Apr-13 08:44:39

What Flisspaps said

80QuidYoniJob Tue 23-Apr-13 08:47:28

Also agree with fisspaps. Please wait until nearer 6 months.

knottyhair Thu 25-Apr-13 12:26:02

Just to give the other point of view, I started weaning my DS at 4 months 9 years ago (different guidelines then) and he had no problems whatsoever and was showing all the signs of being ready. I now have a 4 month old DD and she is exactly the same, so I've started weaning her also. Very slowly, have not reduced her milk intake, she has her bottle, then a bit of solids. I started off introducing a bit of baby rice after her mid morning bottle, then after her bedtime bottle. Now she has solids after her first bottle of the day as well. She is only on baby rice and "tasters" of fruit and veg puree (i.e. 1 ice cube sized portion at the most). She seems to love it and has no problems swallowing etc. You know your baby at the end of the day and the advice seems to change all the time!

notso Thu 25-Apr-13 12:49:48

Fliss has given some great advice.
Wait until nearer 6 months, it's much easier and I say that as someone who was advised to wean DD at 14 weeks 13 years ago because she was chewing her fists.

notso Thu 25-Apr-13 12:52:28

Also knottyhair my DS is nearly 9 and the advice was certainly 6 months then and I don't recall it changing in between him and my 2 and 1 year old.

KingRollo Thu 25-Apr-13 12:55:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tomatoplantproject Thu 25-Apr-13 13:01:54

Am just starting with dd - she is nearly 6 months and has been interested in food for a few weeks. She is mostly on milk still but I'm doing a mix of blw/playing with food and purees. Think it's just about introducing food, taste, texture rather than nutrition. Sometimes she refuses and other times she is interested. She is still getting everything she needs from milk, and because it's about introducing her to the idea of food I'm doing it between feeds so she isn't starving hungry.

Lynz1987 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:10:18

I'm with knottyhair on this one, depends on the baby?
Although I've tried with my DD who showed all the signs but however felt she wasn't taking enough milk, so have stopped with the solids as milk is most important like others have said
Mayb just one solid/purée a day for a while so doesn't drop too much milk?

TallGiraffe Thu 25-Apr-13 18:29:18

But it's not just about whether the baby can manage now, but the health of their gut in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now