Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Questions about portion size and food options for 7mo

(10 Posts)
zoobaby Mon 22-Apr-13 19:11:28

[sorry this has grown long with my examples]

DS started eating solids at 6 months and weaning has been going nicely so far (touch wood of course). He's eating a good variety of food with more being tried each week.

I'm just wondering whether his portion sizes are appropriate. He's mainly been having puree but I'm gradually making it more mashed than smooth (cube = 1 tbsp). Also I plan to introduce finger foods soon, so would like to know what to aim for.

First thing in morning he isn't massively hungry for milk. He is EBF so no way to measure his intake. Pre-weaning he'd go 15-20min each side but now it's about 7min each side. Either he became suddenly more efficient or my boobs started releasing faster or perhaps it's due to still having late feed at night. Not sure yet.

For breakfast he'll have 2tbsp yogurt or half weetabix or 2 heaped tbsp of ready brek - both get mixed with BM/water - plus 2 cubes of fruit.

Just before midday has a conglomeration of vegies with some meat (chicken at moment). About 7 cubes worth. Plus a drink of water.

After his nap he has BM. Again he's not overly fussed to spend ages at it.

He's always hungry again by, or just before, 5pm. He's been having 2 heaped tbsp of baby rice mixed with water with 2 cubes of either fruit or a vegie. He absolutely LOVES that awful gloopy stuff and hoovers it down quick smart. Not sure if that's because he's hungry due to less milk in afternoon or He's just savouring the delights of the rice.

I'm not sure whether to increase this meal size. Plus from now on, I plan to give a wider variety of meals in this time slot. Not sure what type of food is best here as I've read conflicting advice of having protein early to aid with digestion or hold off as it carries them through the night better. He started waking hungry in night before weaning but I now suspect he's doing it now from habit.

BF before bed then another BF at about 10pm-ish.

If you're still with me, Thanks for keeping at it.

Any advice?

ClipClap Mon 22-Apr-13 19:16:59

It sounds to me like you're doing brilliantly - he's eating plenty and probably taking less milk as a result. I would simply continue to introduce more flavours and different times of meat (minced beef, pork and lamb are good options). Maybe think about reducing the baby rice (though if he loves it, no need to change necessarily). You can substitute for real rice, couscous, potatoes, pasta etc. Most important thing is that he's enjoying it at this stage.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 20:34:08

There's no need to use BM in food unless you absolutely want to, full fat cows milk is fine in cooking, cereals etc from 6 months. The current advice is to bf roughly an hour before offering solids until they are one. This is to ensure they get enough milk. Milk is far more important than the solids at this age, so please don't worry about portion size. Weaning should be more about exploring taste and texture rather than seeing how much you can shovel in smile

Have you read the MN info on weaning? The bits about milk feeds and the timetable explain it far better than I ever could smile

If you are thinking of introducing some finger foods, why not give some lightly steamed veg or a strip of omelette or meat next time you eat?

zoobaby Wed 24-Apr-13 14:44:14

Thanks for the info Clip and JJJ. Reassuring to know. It's all just a minefield some most days.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 24-Apr-13 20:49:06

Anything you are worried about, just ask us. There is usually someone around to help smile

Caroline2103 Thu 25-Apr-13 08:39:18

I came on.here this morning to ask the exact same question so thank you for posting. My DS is at exactly the same stage. its comforting to know that we are "normal".
I tried him on baby pasta last night with broccoli,courgette and a little bit of cheese...he LOVED it.
DS is also waking in the night still for a feed but Im pretty sure that this is a conform thing over hunger. Im trying not to worry about it too much at the minute, don't think Im ready to battle it.
Thanks for posting smile

Caroline2103 Thu 25-Apr-13 08:39:52

comfort

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Apr-13 15:01:38

Waking at 7 months for a feed is totally normal however you feed your baby. Have you seen the ISIS website?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Apr-13 15:03:21

Also you don't have to buy expensive baby pasta if you dontvwantvto. By our baby will be able to pick up and eat normal pasta or you can mash your own food if you want to spoon feed smile

Caroline2103 Thu 25-Apr-13 16:27:06

thanks Julie, will look at the link smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now