Talk

Advanced search

Totally confused with 6mo weaning progress

(2 Posts)
Starsintheskyxx Mon 22-Apr-13 13:50:22

I weaned my 6mo ds 4 weeks ago as he was more than ready for it and it has been going really well, however I have come to a bit of a standstill with it. He currently has 4 bottles of 8oz of milk everyday along with 3 meals a day. His routine is as follows:

7:30 Cereal and 8oz bottle afterwards
11:45 Fruit and toast & 8oz bottle afterwards
15:45 8oz bottle
17:00 dinner of vegetables and meat pureed
19:30 bedtime 8oz bottle

Previous to weaning he was on 9oz bottles (he is on 95th centile and very tall!) but my health visitor has advised me that he should be cutting down his milk feeds now, he hasn't been doing this so I am concerned he is not having enough solid food for him to want to do it or he is just having the milk because it is there. I am also aware that the 15:45 bottle on its own isn't the best idea but I didn't want him to have his dinner too early?

I am rambing a bit because the more I read about this, the more confused I get. Could anyone offer any advice on how to sort this all out?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 22-Apr-13 13:58:57

its fine to have milk on its own...I never did milk with solids at all. I gave milk and then solids an hour or more later. My timings at that age were:

7am -milk
8am - breakfast
10.30/11am - milk
12pm - lunch
2.30/3pm - milk
5pm - dinner
7/7.30pm - milk
in the night till 8 months - milk

DS dropped to 4 bottles at 8 months when he dropped the night feed and the mid-morning one went at around 9 months and was replaced with a snack and drink of water.

At the start of weaning it is about introducing new tastes and textures and not to fill them up the way milk does. You have plenty of time for the milk feeds to cut down so there is no need to rush him along so be guided by him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now